Newfangled Audio Generate is an expanded version of its innovative chaos Synthesizer Pendulate expanded with more oscillator algorithms, polyphony & more.
Ok, the cat is out of the back. Pendulate, the exciting, free innovative mono Synthesizer from Newfangled Audio & Eventide was just a teaser for its big brother. Generate is the polyphonic version of the Pendulate Synthesizer plugin but expanded with more oscillator algorithms and other features. If you love Pendulate’s patching interface, you will love Generate too.
It also pursues the same idea: innovative oscillator types paired with well-known Buchla parts for a unique semi-modular synth.
The biggest difference between Pendulate and Generate can be discovered at the beginning. In addition to the Double Pendulum oscillator algorithm known from Pendulate, there are now 4 more to choose from: Vortex, Pulsar, Discharge, and Turbine. Each algo has a different character and is visualized in a beautiful way. The same applies to the Buchla 259 Complex Waveform Generator inspired wavefolder. Instead of one “259”, it now comes with two additional flavors: Fractals, and a special Animated Equation that makes some new wilder sounds possible.
The next step is the Lowpass Gate section that is modeled after the Buchla 292 module but expanded with poles and resonance. No difference to the free Pendulate version. In the bottom part of the synth, you can find modulation and effects. You can choose from a pair of envelopes, two LFOs, sample & hold, and a sequence-based modulator. Like in Penduate, there is no modulation matrix but everything is connected with virtual patch cables.
On the effects side, it comes with an EQ, chorus, delay, and reverb all fused in an effect rack. Unfortunately, the effects cannot be modulated, which is a shame for such an experimental synth. On the output section, you also have an additional limiter to keep your sounds distortion-free.
- Novel chaotic oscillator has 5 types: Double Pendulum, Vortex, Pulsar, Discharge, and Turbine
- Wavefolders based on the Buchla 259 Complex Waveform Generator, Fractals, and a special Animated Equation
- Low Pass Gate based on the Buchla 292 adds controls for POLES and RESONANCE
- Modulate all controls with MIDI/MPE, two Envelopes, two LFOs, Sample and Hold/Random, and a Step Sequencer
- Innovative modulation UI allows modulation over every control from the main page, allowing up to 493 modulation routings in a single pane
- Innovative EQ, Chorus, Delay, Reverb, and Limiter effects to turn the sounds into magic
- MPE support allows amazing control from expressive controllers
- All mod sources have multiple outputs generated at once, like a modular synth should
- Animations! The Double Pendulum, Wavefolder, and Low Pass Gate modules each have animations to show how each module responds to your input, and to modulation
- Color Schemes! Don’t like the look of it, change it
- Over 450 Presets, including many renowned artists
I had the opportunity to look at Generate a little earlier and I’m just as happy about the Poly version as I am about Pendulate. The same concept but drilled out with far more sound possibilities. Especially the new oscillator algorithms, the 8 voice polyphony, and the effects make a big difference here. Anyone looking for an innovative organic-sounding west-coast semi-modular Synthesizer with an interesting twist should check out Pendulate and Generate.
Newfangled Audio Pendulate is available now for macOS and Windows on VST, AU, & AAX formats for an introductory price of $99 and requires an iLok account. Crossgrades are available for $69 USD.
More information here: Eventide
Available at our partner