NUSofting, a relatively unknown but great indie developer has today released Strings Dream Synthesizer 2.0 as a public beta version for Windows only. Before everyone asks, yes, a macOS version is coming too. SDS 2.0 has been fully rewritten with a completely new sound engine and x64 VST2 compatibility. As the name Strings Dream suggests, the specialty of this synth plugin is the sound of string machines.
NUSofting Strings Dream Synthesizer 2.0 is able to reproduce versatile rich, analog-sounding pads from the most famous string machines in Synthesizer history (Eminent Solina, Elka, Crumar…). Interesting here is: it doesn’t use samples but an emulation of the octave divider that you could find in this poly synthesizer back then. I am already curious how different the results are compared to an Arturia Solina V or the GForce Software VSM that trusts in samples.
New In Strings Dream Synthesizer 2.0
- VST2 64-bit for Windows (VST2 for Mac after this beta stage).
- Brand new control for waveshape morphing.
- Extra sound engine for the paraphonic mode (“Paraphony” on GUI) with new timbral characteristics, featuring “analogue pulsed noise” emulation.
- The paraphonic mode allows now very different articulations compared to the standard polyphonic mode (“Polyphony” on GUI).
- Redesigned filters for the voice stops, especially for the ones labeled “Brass” and “Horn”.
- Recalibrated relative gains of all the voice stops.
- “Ensemble” chorus DSP upgraded to higher order interpolation (improved transparency and warmth).
- Rewritten “Spring” algorithm for Reverb, to allow longer resonances.
- Analogue Drum Kit: bonus feature: 20 of the best LoFi sounds from Drum Machines of the late Seventies.(playable using the MIDI keys above the Strings sound range).
- Minor changes in the GUI and other minor bugs fixed. Larger GUI also available.
- Everything that was already good in 1.x has been kept.(Presets previously made for SDS 1.x needs to be adjusted when loaded in SDS 2.0).
NUSofting String Dream Synthesizer 2.0 is currently in public beta as a free download for Windows X64 only. It has a limit of about 15 minutes per session but you can reload the plugin as many time you wish. A macOS beta is coming soon.
Availability & Price: TBA
More information here: NUSofting