Songbird FX has today released Birdcords, new cables that allow you to power audio devices with USB. The Birdcords convert the voltage of any USB port to either 6-Volt, 9-Volt, 12-Volt or 18-Volt DC. The product is especially exciting if you like traveling with instruments on squares where there is no outlet.
The Birdcords can be easily connected to a power bank or USB charger and thus power synths, pedals and more. The developer writes that the operation is noise-free with USB power banks/portable chargers.
The Birdcord cables are available in 4 versions, each with different USB 5V DC conversion levels.
- USB→6V (max 1500mA) (example: Roland PSD devices like the JD-Xi Synthesizer, GO Keys & more)
- USB→9V (max 1000mA) (with the optional Korg/Casio Adapter it can even power devices like the Korg Minilogue or the Casio CTK-1500.
- USB→12V (max 750mA)
- USB→18V (max 500mA)
The cables have been around for a year but these have now been updated with a good set of improvements.
- Cable Length: due to popular demand they changed the cable length from 50cm (19.7″) to 55cm (21.7″).
- Soft Start: Powering bigger devices like the Boss RC505 or RC300 Loopstations or the Digitech Trio+ from USB power banks has been a problem before because these devices need a very high initial current/startup current. Even though the Birdcord could handle this current the power banks would shut down. Not anymore! I now integrated a soft start circuit into the Birdcord that allows starting up these devices without overloading the power bank. It works with any USB power bank with an output current of 2A or higher (small devices still work from any USB port of course).
- More Output Current: The new revision of the Birdcord is capable of a maximum output current of 1000mA@9V. Having said that I still recommend not drawing more than 700mA for permanent use to have some margin left for short current peaks and to ensure a long life of the Birdcord and your USB power bank.
- New Packaging: It turned out that the acryl box is very unpracticable because it’s hard to put the cable back in (too small). I now replaced it with a beautiful drawstring pouch with the Birdcord logo on it.
Songbird FX Birdcords are available now for 16.99€ + shipping. Additional adapters for exotic devices are also available.
More information here: Songbird FX