Olympia Noise Co announced today the next generation of Patterning Drum Machine for iOS with game changer features: automations, advanced loop possibilities & more!
If someone asks me about drum machines with sample support on iOS, then Patterning comes straight to my mind. The app from Olympia Noise Co is a very intuitive and very versatile drum machine for every music style. So it’s no wonder that I’m very excited to hear that the developers announced Patterning 2 today with amazing new features that really bring the app further.
In my opinion, the developers put a lot of effort in this new version and my highlights are: record beats with drum pads / midi controller, randomize almost everything (crazy drum machines grooves are possible), ratcheting brings new ways of sequencing to the tables as well as drum kit switching. It allows you to switch drum kits for every pattern per example what sounds very interesting. If you use Patterning 1 a lot, I’m pretty sure it will be must have!
Patterning 2 is the next generation of the award-winning circular drum machine. Create beats like never before in a beautiful, intuitive interface that is both easy to use and deep with features for the experienced producer.
Make dynamic drum patterns with the swipe of a finger. Quickly record rhythms and parameter automation. Use Patterning’s independent loop settings to explore rhythmic possibilities impossible to achieve in traditional sequencers. Automate and randomize parameters to create intricate & complex beats. Arrange patterns on the timeline to construct songs. Use the built-in effects to add atmosphere, shimmer and noise. Export patterns directly to Ableton Live or connect to other instruments with MIDI. Download hundreds of free factory and user-created drum kits for use in your own songs.
New In Patterning V.2
- Record Beats: Record patterns using the new drum pads page or with an external MIDI controller.
- Randomize (Almost) Everything: Randomize instrument parameters such as panning, filter cutoff and resonance, tuning, velocity and more. Randomization can be automated on a per step basis.
- Next Generation Ratcheting: Creating stuttering beats with up to 8 divisions of a step. Use the Ratchet Decay parameter to create growing or decaying velocities for ratchets.
- Drum Kit Switching: Create as many kits as you like within a song and apply them to any number of patterns. Switch samples, effects, and mixer settings when changing patterns to subtly modify parameters or load a completely different palette of sounds.
- Quantized Pattern Launch: Switch patterns on the fly and never miss a beat.
- Coarse Tune Quantize: The coarse tune parameter can be quantized to specific intervals, making melodic sequencing a breeze. Combine with randomization to create stochastic melodies. Works with MIDI out, too!
- Pattern Tempo Changes: Patterns can now override (or revert back to) the song tempo, optionally slewing gradually to new tempos.
- Loop Rotate: Set the initial rotation of a loop, offsetting the loop to start on a different step or slide off the grid altogether. Steps can be nudged by single ticks or by regular sub-divisions of a step.
- Sample Folders: Easily organize your samples into folders for quick sample loading.
- Divide Mode Measure Length: In loop divide mode you can now set the measure length for the loop. So go ahead and divide that measure of 7/8 into 23 equal parts, because you can.
- Automation Improvements: Automation recording now latches on with the record button. New automation layers include parameter randomization, ratchet settings, and MIDI gate length.
- Ableton Link Updates: Patterning 2 uses the latest version of Ableton Link, with Start/Stop and now includes support for Link’s quantum setting.
- MIDI Gate Length & Unlimited CC Layers: Automate MIDI Gate Length for MIDI tracks. Gates longer than 100% will tie together with the following step, if present, to create longer note lengths. Unlimited CC automation layers for controlling your MIDI devices.
- MIDI Only Tracks: You can now disable audio for a track to make it MIDI only.
- Loads of Other Improvements: Streamlined MIDI setup from the Pattern editor, file system improvements, faster loading times and major under-the-hood improvements.
Features You’ve Already Been Enjoying
- Export directly to an Ableton Live Set.
- Multi-channel audio export.
- Cloud Kits : Download and Share Drum Kits
- 8 Channel Inter-App Audio Output
- Rock solid MIDI Clock
- MIDI Output
- Ableton Link
- Dropbox integration for importing samples
- And so much more…
Patterning 2 Drum Machine by Olympia Noise Co will be available in July 2018. You can pre-order now the app on the iTunes Store with a 25% OFF discount ($14.99). At the same time, the developers dropped the price of Patterning 1 to $6.99 USD.
Available here for pre-order: Patterning 2
Available here: Patterning 1