More than a week ago I got the BEHRINGER Neutron semi-modular analog Synthesizer for testing. This is still a prototype but one of the latest hardware revisions before production. It features 2 oscillators, a multi-mode filter, an LFO, two ADSR envelopes, an analog bucket brigade delay and overdrive as well as big patch matrix on the right side.
The latter is certainly the most exciting here. It not only allows musicians to try new ideas but also opens the world to Eurorack Synthesizers. Since most features such as oscillators, filters, envelopes, etc. are routable from Neutron’s patch bay, it’s very easy to extend the synth with Eurorack modules.
After the first week of intensive testing, I can report that the neutron does what it promises. The sound quality is very good and authentic because the well-known 3340 chips sound is not routed through a well known filter but through the newly designed Moffatt filter. He does not work like a Moog filter here, for example, but has his own approach. So the sound does not lose on amplitude at high resonance which is well known at Moog Filter.
I also like the very big patch bay on the Neutron. Here you will not only find the classic inputs and outputs but also the connection that you will rarely find in budget synths: VCA CV In, LFO rate in, LFO shape in, multipliers, slew rate limiter, 2 sums, 2 filter outputs and more.
After my first observations, the red color is a big topic in the synth communities. I would certainly be happy about a simple black interface, but to be honest, red stands out from the crowd. Since we have so many black synths already, this bright red color is a nice contrast. Processing technically is also on the neutron nothing to criticize. The knobs have a nice and high-quality feel and can be turned nicely.
If you want to know more about the Neutron and its features and sound, you should take a look at my first look video, where I will explain more about it.
First Look Video
- Paraphonic synthesizer with authentic dual 3340 analog oscillators for insanely fat music creation
- Pure analog signal path based on legendary VCO design to recreate classic sound performance
- Semi-modular architecture with default routings requires no patching for immediate performance
- Oscillator waveform control blends seamlessly between 5 shapes (tone mod, saw tooth, pulse, triangle, sine wave)
- Individual pulse width / tone mod control provides ultimate sounds
- Paraphonic mode allows both oscillators to be independently controlled
- Flexible LFO with fi ve waveform shapes, MIDI clock sync, key sync and delay / fade in
- Two analogue ADSR generators for modulation of VCF and VCA
- Multiple stage analog delay based on legendary BBD (Bucket Brigade Delay) technology
- Overdrive circuit adds rich analog warmth and edge to your sounds
- Noise generator dramatically expands waveform generation
- 36 controls and 7 buttons give you direct and real time access to all parameters
- Switchable, self-oscillating, multi-mode analog 12 dB/Oct VCF with dual output (e.g. LP+HP available on jacks) Utility functions including attenuators, multiples, slew rate limiter and summers for creative patching flexibility
- 32 in / 24 out jack matrix for an incredible amount of patching options
- Patchable audio-rate sample and hold with glide for added creativity
- Headphone output with dedicated level control
- External audio input for processing external sound sources
- Comprehensive USB/Midi implementation for connection to keyboard/sequencer
- Designed and engineered in the U.K.
Exploring The NEUTRON Video
More information will be available soon here: BEHRINGER