Alongside the Waldorf, Wolfgang Palm and Virsyn apps, it has been somewhat quieter in recent time with deep wavetable Synthesizers for iPad. This week, a relatively new developer finally released a new wavetable Synthesizer with advanced sound design features for iOS. Scythe is the name of the app and it features 2 wavetable oscillators that comes with several included factory wavetables but also allows to create own wavetable via an audio file import features (AudioShare & iTunes File sharing). The wavetable engine is powered by a big modulation section. It comes with 2 envelope generators (ADSR) and 3 LFO’s with 8 wave modes.
Scythe support Inter-app-audio but neither AudioBus 3 or AUv3 compatibility. Honestly, I’m glad to see a new wavetable Synthesizer on the iOS market but I’m not sure if we can expect a long time updates for it. At first, it’s a shame that for years now the developer’s website already looks like a big construction site and there is no contact possibility to report bugs or to ask questions per example. Another point is the past of the developer. He released some years ago Mutate, a granular sampler for free but included several in-app-purchases. The problem with this app was, the developer doesn’t support the app with updates, bug fixes or new features. At the moment, I’m a bit biased with this new release but I hope that he learned from this bad experience and update better this app.
Update: In the meantime, the developer updated the app with Audiobus 3 support what is good to see. Hope for more new features and regular updates like this.
Available here: Scythe Synthesizer
Generate custom wavetables by importing your sounds using AudioShare or iTunes file sharing. Please note for best results, sounds with low frequency content are required.
- High quality wavetable synthesis
- Inter-App-Audio for connecting straight to Logic Pro X/Ableton or other apps
- Modulation control of all oscillator parameters
- AudioShare support for importing and exporting
- Global tempo control for syncing LFOs to note duration
- Easily record, playback and export audio
- Library wavetables and presets
- Max waves = 48 = 3 voices * 2 oscillators * 8 unison
- Dark and Light modes
Full feature set:
- 2 Wavetable oscillators with full modulation control
- Generate wavetables with audio files imported with AudioShare
- Generate wavetables with audio files loaded from iTunes file sharing
- Load library wavetables
- Save wavetables
- Unison of up to 8 waves
- Global tempo control in top bar
- 2 Envelope generators with controllable ADSR graph
- 3 LFOs with 8 wave modes, Note duration sync, lfo wave amplitude, 3 run modes
- Global modulation matrix control
- Modulation override
- Currently max voices is 3
- Scrollable keyboard
- Hold mode (enabled by tapping octave control in scroll section)
- Library presets
- Save your own presets
- Record audio
- Export audio using AudioShare
- export audio using iOS export options, e.g. Dropbox
- Hardware capabilities will impact max number of waves. If your device CPU cannot synthesize the max number of waves, either adjust the unison value/modulation or reduce the number of simultaneous keys pressed
- Modulation is initially enabled by dragging the modulation link icons onto the control to be modulated.
- Hold mode is enabled/disabled by pressing the control in the keyboard scroll section
Check out here video demo of pansofdeath
Available here: Scythe Synthesizer