ROLI’s Block series of innovative and compact controllers is growing today. After the Seaboard Blocks were introduced recently, the company expands this product range today with the new Lightpad M. The Lightpad Block M is a further development and next generation of the Lightpad Block released back in November 2016. Compared to the previous version, it comes with a new redesigned surface layer, brighter surface illumination and microkeywaves. The developers also improves the playability of the new version by making it even more sensitive and precise.
I’m now curious whether the interface has changed a lot. I have now played a few times with the old Blocks Lightpad and was always something torn what I should think of the device. The idea was exciting only the feeling of the interface I found very own and not so nice.
London — ROLI today launches a new model of Lightpad Block and a sweeping series of upgrades to its NOISE app that further advance the position of ROLI BLOCKS as the most versatile and expressive portable music creation system on the market today.
Roland Lamb, founder and CEO of ROLI and inventor of the BLOCKS system, said: “In the last 10 months since we launched BLOCKS, we have continuously evolved the system with software and firmware updates as well as new hardware components like the Seaboard Block. Today with the release of the Lightpad Block M and NOISE 3.0, we are even more firmly establishing BLOCKS as the most powerful way to create music on the go. You can configure an endless number of production workflows and enjoy a range and depth of expression that was hard to imagine just a few years ago.”
The Lightpad Block M is the next generation of the Lightpad Block, a surface for sonic control, that launched in November 2016. Music-makers can recreate the sounds of drums, cellos, flutes, synths, and hundreds of other instruments just by touching the Lightpad Block, which is both a palm-sized music-making device in its own right and a piece of the expandable BLOCKS system. The Lightpad M creates an even more sensitive and precise playing experience that is on par with ROLI’s premium instruments like the Seaboard RISE.
Advancements of the Lightpad M include:
- Microkeywaves. Inspired by the wave-like undulation of keywaves on the surface of ROLI’s Seaboard instruments, the microkeywaves of the Lightpad M provide additional tactile feedback on an already sensitive surface. They mark a major revision from the flat surface of the original Lightpad Block.
- A redesigned silicone surface layer. A deeper, softer silicone layer — topped with 225 microkeywaves — enhances the pressure-responsive control of sound that defines the Lightpad Block.
- Brighter surface illumination. The Lightpad M is 50% brighter than the original Lightpad Block. It features a higher contrast display and much richer color definition.
Beside the new hardware release, ROLI also announced the official release of NOISE 3.0, the newest of their free app that includes major improvements to clip launching, clip editing and user-interface navigation. The biggest news for iOS musicians is that NOISE is now available as an AUv3 plugin. So you can use it now in your favourite iOS DAW multiple times. On top, they released new acoustic instrumental soundpacks with realistic cello, violin, saxophone and other sounds.
NOISE and the software ecosystem supporting BLOCKS have also taken a major step forward. The Lightpad M, the Seaboard Block, and the original Lightpad Block now come with mobile and desktop tools including:
- NOISE 3.0: The newest version of ROLI’s free app introduces major improvements to clip launching, clip editing, and user-interface navigation as well as new acoustic sounds. Together with the recent introduction of Seaboard View and Mixer Mode, the updates make NOISE 3.0 the ultimate mobile sketchpad for making music on the go. Download or update NOISE on iOS today.
- Acoustic instrumental soundpacks: Unbelievably realistic cello, violin, clarinet, saxophone, and other acoustic instrumental sounds are now available to explore in NOISE. Treble Quartet and Bass Quartet are two new soundpacks from Audio Modeling that are powered by the SWAM engine. The Bass Quartet soundpack is bundled with the Lightpad M. Treble Quartet is bundled with the Seaboard Block. Also available for $9.99 in the NOISE Soundpack Store.
- NOISE Audio Unit for GarageBand: Over 400 polyphonic sounds from NOISE are now available to play and edit in GarageBand, Apple’s popular music production program that comes with iPhones and iPads. Music-makers can bring their favorite NOISE sounds into their GarageBand workflows with the new NOISE Audio Unit plug-in for iOS. Now available for both models of Lightpad Block and Seaboard Block.
- Ableton Live Lite: A customized version of Ableton Live, the acclaimed digital audio workstation (DAW) for desktop, is included with every Lightpad Block. Integration with Ableton Live Lite transforms the Lightpad Block into a versatile control surface for launching clips, controlling instruments, and creating tracks within Ableton Live. Coming soon for both models of Lightpad Block.
- Strobe2 Player: A desktop sound player version of the high-powered polysynth from FXpansion. Explore 50 included sounds and three macros in Strobe2 Player — and upgrade to the complete Strobe2 synth for $79. Strobe2 Player is fully compatible with MIDI Polyphonic Expression (MPE) controllers like the Lightpad M. Now available for both models of Lightpad Block and Seaboard Block.
- Tracktion Waveform: The most advanced digital audio workstation (DAW) from Tracktion and the successor to T7. Waveform (worth $99) seamlessly handles MIDI polyphonic expression data from ROLI instruments. Its visualizer allows quick and intuitive changes to expression parameters like pitch and timbre — all on one screen. Now available for both models of Lightpad Block and Seaboard Block.
The Lightpad M is now available to purchase for $199.95 USD/219.95 EUR/£189.95 GBP. The original Lightpad Block is available for $179.95 USD.
ROLI is delighted to offer software upgrades to all owners of the original Lightpad Block. NOISE 3.0, the NOISE audio unit for GarageBand, Ableton Live Lite, Strobe2 Player, and Tracktion Waveform expand the creative possibilities for music-makers with either model of Lightpad Block.
More informations here: ROLI
Available here: ROLI NOISE