Bert and Celine from Percussa just announced that the upcoming Super Signal Processor module for the Eurorack format has landed on Kickstarter. The new SSP is a massive digital oscillator for the Eurorack format based on the Percussa synth engine already known from the Synthor Modular Synthesizer.
Compared to other digital oscillators for the Eurorack format, it includes not only one main feature but multiple cool skills (Wavetable oscillator, sampler with layering features, LFO, variable frequency noise…) Very cool additional feature is the ability to load own developed DSP software on it. If you are good in music software development, you can develop different codes and transform the module in a complete different oscillator.
It will be a very high-priced module but it includes tones of cool features. To get an better overview of the SSP, check below all the features.
August 4th, 2017, Los Angeles, CA) Today at 8am Los angeles time our kickstarter project, the Percussa Super Signal Processor (SSP) Eurorack module, is going live.
It’s the result of interaction with the eurorack community since we launced the Percussa Engine and Synthor System 8 at the Winter NAMM 2017 show in Anaheim, CA. The SSP is very similar to the Percussa Engine, the synthesis platform we showed at the NAMM show, but comes with additional input and output connectors, featuring eurorack-compatible voltages, and will fit in a 60HP wide space in a eurorack system.
Among features of the SSP that are important to note, are a quad core ARM Cortex A17 processor @ 1.8GHz, one of the fastest ARM processors available, offering over 20,000 DMIPS of computing power (typical eurorack modules use cortex M4 or M7 processors which stay under 500 DMIPS), and high end ADC and DAC chips by AKM, supporting sample rates up to 192kHz and 32-bit resolution.
The SSP will feature 8 outputs and 16 inputs, and will support running multiple software DSP modules in parallel on multiple cores. The SSP comes with the same features of the Percussa Engine, featuring its rule-based patching system, preset storage and recall, and DSP modules such as:
- Wavetable Oscillator with true 3D morphing (XYZ) and cloud features
- Sampler with Layering features
- LFO with multiple waveforms (sine, saw, square, triangle)
- Variable Frequency Noise
- DC generator
- Enveloped Generator with Exponential A and DR
- Comb Filter
- State Variable Filter
- Step Sequencer
- 8 outputs via high end AKM DAC with 32 bit resolution / 192kHz sample rate (AK4458)
- 2 inputs via high end AKM ADC with 32 bit resolution / 192kHz sample rate (AK5552)
- Support for eurorack DC voltage level ranges on inputs and outputs (-5V to +5V)
- Low-noise power supplies and op-amp stages, featuring 0.1% resistors
Control Voltage I/O
- 14 inputs via industrial ADCs or via AKM audio ADCs (see “status of project” section)
- Support for eurorack DC voltage level range (-5V to +5V)
- Quad core processor running at 1.8 GHz per core 32-bit SIMD and 64-bit floating point arithmetic
- 32-bit floating point ADC/DAC input / output
- Capable of running multiple software modules in parallel on multiple cores
- Supports recording audio inputs and outputs directly to SD card for instant wavetable / sample creation or recording of live performances without the need for external software
- Supports loading your own WAV files into the Wavetable Oscillator and Sampler software modules, via the SD card (limited only by SD card size / RAM size)
- Coarse and Fine frequency controls on all Oscillators
- Comes with a set of 100+ pre-recorded samples / wavetables
- Storage and Recall of Presets and Settings with the press of a button
- Rule-based fast 2D patching
- Supports routing / mixing multiple inputs to multiple software modules
- Supports routing / mixing multiple software modules to multiple outputs
- SDK with examples for writing your own modules in C++
- Support on the SSP to load your modules from the SD Card
Display, Graphics and User Interface
- 1600×480 pixel wide format full colour LVDS IPS display
- 2D & 3D Graphics acceleration support (see stretch goals)
- 4x High quality Aluminium Machined Knobs
- 4x Bourns Endless and Click-less Encoders
- 18x Industrial Temperature MEC Switches
- User interface design featuring shallow menus (no menu diving), large fonts for readability and signal input / output Oscilloscope features
- 1 USB device port with USB Audio Class 2.0 support
- 1 USB host port with USB MIDI class and USB ethernet adapter support
- Serial (header) connector on PCB to access linux serial console
- 1 microSD card slot 16 GB professional microSD card (not included in DIY pledge) with FAT partition for easy sharing of presets and samples and for software updates (OS agnostic)
- 2GB onboard RAM
Dimensions and Front Panel
- 60HP width, 3U in height (eurorack compatible, see pledges for customization options)
- 50mm depth behind front panel (estimated)
- 2mm thick CNC machined / laser cut aluminium front panel, sandblasted and black anodized (see pledges for customization options)
- 350mA @ +12V and 50mA @ -12V consumption (estimated)
- Standard 16-pin eurorack power connector
Important to note is that the Percussa SSP will support loading your own software DSP modules, which can be programmed in the C++ language. The SSP comes with the same wide-screen IPS display of 1600×480 pixels as the Percussa Engine and will feature an optimized user interface and workflow for eurorack users. The buttons and encoders will be located around the display for increased usability.
In terms of connectivity, the SSP will offer USB host and device ports for connecting a laptop for direct digital audio recording, or a USB MIDI class device for controlling the SSP. Storage wise the SSP will run of a microSD card, and a 16GB professional grade card is included in the main kickstarter pledges for the product. The SSP comes with 2GB of internal RAM which is especially useful for loading large WAV files.
One of the interesting features of the SSP is that it offers the same sampling features as the Percussa Engine, allowing you to record audio direct to SD card as WAV files, and then immediately use those WAV files as wavetables for the wavetable oscillator and sampler modules, without having to load them into software on a computer first. Everything can be done directly on the eurorack module.
In terms of pledges, the kickstarter offers normal production units, special pledges for early birds, customization options and special low serial number editions, as well as an interesting Godfather and Godmother pledge (only one of each), wich allows you to donate 5 Percussa SSP modules to 5 schools of your choice, giving students access to this powerful eurorack module.
More informations here: Percussa Super Signal Processor Kickstarter