Many musicians have a limited budget to buy new instruments or effects. Above all, many of them use their budget to buy hardware and less about software. One of the effects I personally love on hardware as well as software are beside reverb / delay/distortion but also filters. Good sounding plugins can be expensive but there are several that cost you nothing.
I consider only free filter plugins that are:
- for PC & Mac at the same time
- free for everyone
- no time restriction
- 64-bit compatible
HY-Plugins HY-Filter 3 Free
The free version of the HY-Plugins HY-Filter 3 offers two filter modes (state-variable, reso) but without modulation or FX units.
It’s available for free for Windows & Mac (32-/64-bit VST/AU)
Available here: HY-Plugins
Ohm Force Frohmage
Frohmage is a multi-band resonant filter. It can offer some unique sounds, from slow and deep filter sweeps to the most savage tones with high resonance setting and heavy distortion.
- Highly resonant low-pass filter.
- Cutoff frequency unit selection : Hz or musical note.
- Up to 15 additional bands, harmonically distributed.
- Delay on each band for unique phaser effects.
- Distortion stage, with two routing schemes.
- Very fine MIDI control (PRN and NPRN sent or recorded by Frohmage are 14-bit accurate).
- Low CPU load.
Available here: Ohm Force
BPD Audio Assault FilterCrusher
FilterCrusher is a dual tube filter effect for mixing and sound design purposes. The plugin features a pair of resonant filters and a modeled tube preamp circuit for subtle tube saturation. Additional “crush” mode boosts the input gain and results in audible tube-style distortion.
- Adjustable 12 dB high and low pass resonant filters.
- Modeled tube circuit.
- Subtle and “crush” modes.
- Zero latency.
- Optimized for low CPU usage.
Available here: FilterCrusher
Melda Production MBandPass
MBandPass is a filter plugin containing a high-pass and low-pass filters with slopes up to 120dB/oct. Using its 2 extremely versatile modulators it becomes a powerful filter, which can follow a simple LFO, react to input levels, MIDI, input pitch and much more.
Available here: MBandPass