With his new professional cassette recorder, TASCAM shows that the cassette medium is still alive
The cassette, the oldie among the recording media, has experienced a renaissance in recent years. Many brands from the alternative/experimental scene have been releasing more and more of their albums on cassette. Also, many musicians use classic cassette recorders as an exciting loop instrument.
Today, TASCAM announced a new dual cassette deck recorder 202mkVII that is described as the newest generation of professional cassette recorders. The new 3U rack-mountable recorder has USB output support that allows you record and achieve cassettes to digital media.
The 202mkVII’s most noteworthy new feature is a rear-panel USB output that enables recording and archiving cassettes to digital media. A front-panel ¼-inch, high-impedance (200 kΩ) microphone input with dedicated level control enables live input to be mixed with Tape 1 audio and recorded, in real time, to Tape 2 for karaoke and voiceover applications. The mic input also can accept line-level signals. In addition to the USB output, the rear panel provides stereo analog line-level input and output on unbalanced RCA connectors. A ¼-inch stereo headphone output with dedicated level knob is conveniently located on the front of the unit.
The dual twin-head cassette decks can record and play back independently, including recording simultaneously to create two tapes with the same source. Among other applications, this enables simultaneous creation of a master tape and a copy for distribution, skipping the need to duplicate the master tape. The two decks also provide real-time dubbing at the touch of one button. Tape 1 offers pitch control (±12%) and Tape 2 has a Return to Zero function.
The TASCAM 202mkVII offers two playback modes. Normal playback, as expected, routes sound to the line outputs and headphone output. In Special playback mode, you can monitor the sound from one tape using headphones, while the other tape plays through the line outputs, making it easy to cue another tape. A noise-reduction feature (the equivalent of Dolby B) reduces hiss during playback.
The 3U rack-mountable, professional tape deck supports recording and playback of Type I (normal) and Type II (chrome) cassette tapes, as well as playback with Type IV (metal) tapes. A dedicated wireless remote control is included.
Features At A Glance
- Dual cassette deck for playing, dubbing, or recording 1 or 2 cassettes
- USB output for archiving a cassette to an external digital recorder
- Microphone input with level control can be mixed with cassette 1 and total mix recorded to cassette 2; convenient for karaoke and announcements
- Headphone jack output with separate level control for audio verification or private monitoring
- “SPECIAL” playback mode that allows you to cue the next song on a tape by monitoring the sound with headphones while another tape is playing
- RCA analog unbalanced outputs; stereo RCA input
- RTZ (Return to Zero) function that returns the tape to the zero count point (TAPE 2 only)
- Repeat playback function
- +/-12% pitch control function (TAPE 1 only)
- Parallel recording function for TAPE 1/2 that can reduce time for dubbing cassettes
- Supports recording and playback of normal tapes (Type I) and chrome tapes (Type II) – For metal tapes (Type IV), only playback is supported
- Dedicated wireless remote control
- Noise reduction function to reduce hiss during playback (equivalent to Dolby B NR)
- 3U rack mount design
The TASCAM 202mkVII is available at TASCAM dealers at a MAP/street price of $499.99 USD.
More information here: TASCAM