With the Model 72, Softube not only modeled the Minimoog from 1972 with all its quirks but also split it into individual modules and made them available for Amp Room and Modular.
An award to the graphic designer, the GUI of the new Softube plugin looks deceptively real. The Swedes have again unpacked their excellent modeling technology and teleported another iconic instrument from earlier into modern times. The Model 72 is no different than an emulation of the legendary Moog Minimoog with all its beloved quirks from 1972.
It’s nothing completely new when you consider how many Minimoog emulations are on the market: Synapse Audio The Legend, Arturia Mini-V… Whether we need another Minimoog VST is another question. However, for me there are two reasons why the release is exciting:
Firstly, it comes from the modeling specialists Softube, who is known for extremely authentically hardware modeling technology. On the other hand, the Swedes go a step further, they gut the Minimoog into individual modules and makes it available as a classic plugin as well as in their two modular systems: Softube Modular & Amp Room.
Users of the Amp Room plugin get a module that features the fat-sounding filter from the Minimoog (Model-72) equipped with an envelope follower, cutoff, and drive. There are two different envelope follower modes, fast and smooth. There’s also a mix knob for blending the effect to fine-tune the sound. Create truly unique sounds for guitar, bass, and keyboards with a vintage vibe with this incredible envelope filter effect.
Software modular users on the other side get all the Model 72 instrument sections as individual modules what is pretty neat. It’s easy to combine single parts of the synth in a modular workflow to build patches and get authentic vintage monophonic sounds.
Anyone who does not have either of the other two software titles is given a nice bonus. Besides the instrument plugin, the Model 72 can be used as an FX plugin. With this, you can replicate the external input feature and use the distortions and filter on your sound source. Route a MIDI channel to your effect and play a note in order to gate the sound processed through the effect. Great idea.
On the feature side, it remains a Minimoog: three VCOs, a single filter, two envelopes… Softube has added a doubler, a stereo spread effect and expanded controls.
- An entire system based on a classic analog monophonic synth from the early 1970s with the emphasis on sound quality
- Era correct: component-modeled to perfection, with all the quirks and non-linearities intact – it sounds and behaves just like its original hardware counterpart
- Actual use cases and tricks of the hardware correctly replicated in the software
- Four versions included: Model 72 Instrument, Model 72 FX, Model 72 module for Softube Amp Room, and seven Model 72 modules for Softube Modular. Learn more about Softube Amp Room and Softube Modular
- Create combinations in Modular never possible before in real life or in the world of software
- Software-exclusive features added: doubler, stereo spread effect, and expanded controls
Softube Model 72 Synthesizer System is available now for $99/99€ until 29th October (regular price 159€) and is compatible with VST, AU & AAX plugin format.
More information here: Softube
Available here at our partner