Twisted Electrons has released a new overview video of their new MEGAfm Synthesizer, a compact FM synthesizer that uses two Yamaha YM2612 FM chips
At the time of NAMM 2020, Twisted Electrons announced the MEGAfm synthesizer, a new FM Synthesizer that is based on two YM2612 FM chips. Yamaha manufactured these chips in the past and could be found in the iconic Sega Megadrive/Genesis game console. However, MEGAfm is not a normal FM synthesizer but one that does a lot differently.
It only features 4 operators and 8 algorithms that can be selected directly on the interface. Each operator can be edited directly on the interface using various sliders. This makes the Megafm very hands-on and straightforward. This makes this FM synthesizer very interesting and you don’t get lost in a menu. This is primarily there to select the 600 onboard presets and save new ones. I also like the preset randomizer function, which can be used to build new sounds quickly.
MEGAfm is not yet available but the developer has released a new video with which you get a nice overview of the features and the interface. In this, I also noticed that the synth is much smaller than I initially thought. It’s a slim beauty.
- 12 Voice Polyphony
- Dual YM2612 FM chips (included)
- 8 Algorithms
- 600 preset memory (saving to any slot) arranged in 6 banks. Easy upload/download of banks to and from computer vis SYSEX.
- Preset randomizer
- 4 Voicing modes (Poly12, stereo/wide6, special CH3 mode, 12 voice unison with detune/fat knob
- Stereo or Mono output (1 chip per channel or both chips summed)
- 32 Sliders for total control of all 4 operators
- 14 knobs
- 15 buttons
- 23 LEDS, LED numeric display.
- 3 LFOs to modulate any parameter
- 7-mode arpeggiator with transposable Sh-style step sequencer
- Vibrato with depth and rate
- MIDI clock on all LFOs, ARP and Vibrato
- All faders/knobs send MIDI (use MegaFM to control your favorite modern FM synth!)
- Full MIDI automation
- Dual 6.35mm TS output and 6.35mm Stereo Headphones output
- Brushed/Anodized Aluminum Case
- Sturdy metal panel bolted potentiometers
- DIN5 MIDI input with MIDI channel learn and thru/out
Twisted Electrons MEGAfm is expected to ship in April and will cost 474€ excluding VAT. Each unit is hand-assembled in France.
More information here: Twisted Electrons