Sequential showed the Pro 3 at NAMM 2020, a new hybrid Synthesizer that is now shipping and in a new interview, Dave Smith gives an insight into the Pro Synth world.
Looking back at this year’s NAMM, the new Sequential Pro 3 was one of the highlights of the synthesizer. No wonder, it combines the latest analog and digital technology in a new deep hardware Synthesizer. The Pro 3 features two VCOs, one digital wavetable oscillator and three vintage-style analog filters from the iconic synth designers: Prophet-6 (Dave Smith, OB-6 (Tom Oberheim) & Ladder (Bob Moog).
All this is supported by a big selection of super flexible routable modulators (3 LFOs, 4 loopable ADSR + delay envelopes), a performance-oriented sequencer and many effects including an all-analog distortion unit. It is also compatible with modular synthesizers and other gear via its four rear-panel control voltage inputs and outputs.
- 2 analog oscillators + 1 DSP-based digital wavetable oscillator (32 wavetables)
- white noise generator + hard sync, per-oscillator glide, oscillator slop
- 3-voice paraphonic
- 3 classic analog filters (Prophet 6, transistor ladder filter & state-variable filter)
- 3 sync-able LFOs with 5 waveshapes, phase offset and slew per LFO
- 4 envelopes (filter, VCA and two auxiliary envelopes, all can repeat/loop
- 32-slot modulation matrix that runs at audio rates with over 46 mod sources and over 171 mod destinations
- analog distortion
- dual digital effects (stereo delay, BBD delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, ring mod, vintage rotating speaker, distortion, high-pass filter, super plate reverb)
- 16-track advanced sequencer with three modes:
- normal, gated and trigger, 16 tracks and 4 linkable 16-step phrases
- per-step ratcheting, duration, and velocity. Sequences freely assignable to any modulation destination
- sophisticated arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes including re-latching arpeggiation
- over 60 knobs and 70 buttons enable deep, comprehensive editing with minimal menu diving
- full-sized, three-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and aftertouch
- 512 user and 512 factory programs
- 4 control voltages ins & outs and gate out
- MIDI In, MIDI Out, MIDI Thru/Out 2 port, USB for bidirectional MIDI communication
- external audio input, main stereo output & headphone out.
Interview Dave Smith, Founder Of Sequential & Developer Of The Pro 3 Synthesizer
I had the opportunity to interview Dave Smith in his Zen Synthesizer suite near the convention center. We discuss where the Synthesizer market should go, what he thinks of Pro-1 clones (Behringer) and of course, I got an in-depth look at the new Pro 3 Synthesizer including some answers to deeper feature questions.
Sequential Pro 3 standard edition is available now for $1599 US MAP or 1695€ in Europe.
More information here: Sequential
Sequential Pro 3 is available to pre-order at our partner