Krotos first Synthesizer plugin Concept combines classic synthesis with extravagant modulation possibilities like audio input, XY pads on steroids & more.
Krotos from Scotland is actually known for its sound design-oriented effect processors. Plugins like Dehumaniser 2 or Weaponiser are mainly used in Hollywood to design realistic sound effects. Now the young company is opening a different cheaper with its first Synthesizer plugin. Concept is the name and at first glance, it is another virtual analog/FM synth. However, they do many things differently what makes it interesting again. Unfortunately, no really advanced synthesis.
The developers promise that you can design many different sounds with Concept from traditional synth sounds to more complex envolving textures. Where they try to be different is in the modulation section. Here they developed a fresh approach that allows you to map any parameter to one of four flexible and customizable multi-mode modulators in the centre of the UI. Available are envelope/pitch follower, X/Y capture pad or a unique “Tweak It” customization system.
Krotos Concept Unique Modulators: XY Capture, Audio Input & Tweak It
Good, no basic XY pad was developed here. XY Capture allows you to go beyond LFOs, envelopes or arpeggiators and intuitively shape the response of any number of parameters. The engine allows you to record very complex and personal movements. Once a shape is captured, you can edit it, sync it to tempo and more. You can also use up to four XY captures in your presets. It reminds me a little of the Rob Papen Synthesizer plugins where you can also record movements in the XY pad.
Another exciting idea is the possibility to use audio to modulate parameters with the help of Concept’s quick and easy pitch and amplitude follower. This allows you to feed multiple audio signals into the plugin (depending on your DAW), and use these as modulation sources. You can choose between amplitude or pitch analysis, and assign this to any parameter to modulate it.
Tweak It is a third nice sound design feature that is a unique customization system. Here, you can create variations of presets without losing the initial character of the main sound. With this, you can change parameters within a certain range every time a Tweak is triggered. Any number of parameters are available from one to hundreds of parameters on a single Tweak. So you can quickly design many other sounds from a relatively simple sound.
- Modulation System – Explore a new approach to modulation using drag-and-drop. Instantly identify your mappings with clear colour coding and animated visual feedback.
- Tweak It – Get inspired quickly using our controllable and assignable customisation system. Create variations of your patch with a single click, with results ranging from musical to complex.
- X/Y Capture – Draw your modulation movements within an X/Y field. Capture patterns for any combination of parameters and sync the results to your project’s tempo. Create unique sounds and melodies in an instant.
- FX Rack – Combine a range of ten high-quality effects, and drag-and-drop any parameter into the modulation system. An innovative convolution reverb is included allowing the use of custom impulse responses.
- Audio Input – Stimulate new ideas by performing and modulating with any input or instrument. Use elements from your mix to create dynamic rhythmical patches, or use the pitch follower to create exciting interactions with existing melodies.
Concept comes loaded with 200+ diverse presets, designed by the likes of Mercury award-winning music producer Roni Size (Reprazent, Universal), Richard Devine (Google, Warp Records), Kayla Painter (Brownswood Recordings), Dom Ruckspin (Ninja Tune) and Hieroglyphic Being (Mathematics Records).
Krotos Concept is available now for an introductory price of $99 USD until February 15th, 2020 (regular $129 USD).
More information here: Krotos
Available at our partner