With the new MEGAfm, Twisted Electrons has introduced a new desktop FM Synthesizer that offers an engine that is inspired by the Sega Megadrive/Genesis gaming console (YM2612 chip).
Twisted Electrons have been known for a long time to provide the synthesizer market with beautiful 8-bit instruments. For the new project, they converted the Sega Megadrive/Genesis game console sound core into a flagship synth. MEGAfm is a new desktop Synthesizer that uses and abuses the vintage YM2612 FM chip originally found in these consoles.
According to the developers, is MEGAfm not a complicated FM synth but a user-friendly and intuitive instrument with 32 operator faders, 14 knobs, and 15 buttons. Soundwise, it is less reminiscent of a classic FM synth but has a very characterful tone allowing a broad sound palette ranging from beautiful plucked strings to growly distorted bass lines thanks to the YM2612 chip.
Twisted Electrons MEGAfm Engine
MEGAfm uses two YM2612 chips that offer each 6 voices of crispy FM with 4 operators per voice and 8 algorithms. Simple calculation: it’s a 12 voice FM Synthesizer spread across two outputs or summed to one. It also features 3 LFOs that can modulate any parameter, a 7-mode arpeggiator, a SH-style step sequencer, and 4 voicing modes to play with: Poly12, stereo/wide6, special CH3 mode, 12 voice unison with detune/fat knob.
Besides this, it comes with a preset randomizer system and the possibility to save up to 50 presets in the unit. You can easy upload/download banks via SYSEX.
- 12 Voice Polyphony
- Dual YM2612 FM chips (included)
- 8 Algorithms
- 50 preset (saving to any slot) and easy upload/download of banks to and from computer vis SYSEX.
- Preset randomiser
- 4 Voicing modes (Poly12, stereo/wide6, special CH3 mode, 12 voice unison with detune/fat knob
- Stereo or Mono output (1 chip per channel or both chips summed)
- 32 Sliders for total control of all 4 operators
- 14 knobs
- 15 buttons
- 23 LEDS, LED numeric display.
- 3 lfos to modulate any parameter
- 7-mode arpeggiator with transposable Sh-style step sequencer
- Vibrato with depth and rate
- MIDI clock on all LFOs, ARP and Vibrato
- Dual 6.35mm TS output and 6.35mm Stereo Headphones output
- Brushed/Anodized Aluminum Case
- Sturdy metal panel bolted potentiometers
- DIN5 MIDI input with MIDI channel learn and thru/out
Twisted Electrons MEGAfm is available now for pre-order for €474.
More information here: Twisted Electrons