Studio Electronics famous rack-format Minimoog replica, the Midimini returns in a V30 version, has more features and can communicate with modular synths.
Before the Behringer Model D, there were some other replicas of the Moog Minimoog available on the market. The Midimini from 1989 was one of the best and highest quality replicas. Now, the Midimini is back in a modern version V30 with many new features and improvements that can be seen on the Roland SE-02 and the new Boomstars Synthesizer series.
The Midimini V30 still has the basis of a Minimoog with a three oscillator core but revised & converted into a semi-modular analog synth with CV & gate connections. The modifications include a new color section with which you can make oscillator cross-modulations, ring mod & noise taken over from the Boomstars, oscillator 2 sync or the option to route the OSC 1 triangle wave directly into the amplifier. With this, you can achieve a higher bass amount with higher resonance.
Also new is that the LFO can do audio rate modulation with additional switchable MIDI sync and it includes a waveform switch known from the Roland SE-02 design. The mixer section is now equipped with a new amp drive based on the Boomstar Modular AMP module. It’s based on an amplifier saturation & overdrive circuit.
As already mentioned before, the Midimini V30 is semi-modular and therefore has patch points for near every function.
Midimini V30 vs Midimini
New In Midimini V30
- GLIDE – Linear, Exponential—includes Filter—under versatile software control.
- NOISE/OSC3 – Noise/Oscillator 3 Modmix selector switch.
- CV OUT – Main Control Voltage Output patch point.
- VCF – Voltage Controlled Filter Cutoff attenuator.
- WAVEFORM – SE-02 Waveform shapes switch.
- RATE – Audio Rate Modulation Modulation speed attenuator, with switchable MIDI SYNC.
- LFO OUT – Lo Frequency Oscillator Output patch point, with amount attenuator.
- MAIN CV IN – Main Control Voltage Input patch point. Main Control Voltage Input patch point (-10 to +10, internal CV is +/-5v).
- OSC1 CV – OSC 1 Control Voltage input patch point—additive.
- OSC2 CV – OSC 2 Control Voltage input patch point—additive.
- OSC3 CV – OSC 3 Control Voltage input patch point—additive.
- ENV1 to OSC2 – Cross-modulation of OSC 2 by ENV1 (filter) attenuator.
- OSC3 to OSC2 – Cross-modulation of OSC 2 by OSC 3 attenuator.
- RING MOD – Hardware Ring Modulation attenuator.
- NOISE – Noise Output patch point.
- OSC1 – OSC 1 Control Voltage Output patch point.
- AMP DRIVE – Boomstar Modular AMP module’s amplifier saturation & overdrive circuit.
- ^1 NO VCF – Triangle to VCA switch—bypasses VCF.
- FBK GAIN – Feedback Gain control (shares pot with EXT IN).
- EXT IN – Front panel located External Audio Input with attenuation.
- LEARN – Under the hood hub for MIDI Channel, Aftertouch, and Modwheel.
- ENV1 INV – Filter Envelope inverter.
- LFO GATE –Low Frequency Oscillator gate trigger of ENV1 and ENV2.
- ENV2 MSTR – VCA Envelope override of VCF Envelope switch.
- VCF CV – Voltage Controlled Filter Control Voltage Input patch point.
- ENV2 OUT – Envelope 2 Output patch point with attenuator.
- GATE IN – Gate in patch point (0-10 volts).
- GATE OUT – Gate out patch point (0-10 volts).
- FEEDBACK – Oscillator/Filter Feedback loop control.
- REL1 – Envelope 1 Release (Decay) switch.
- DRONE – Instant, indefinite VCA sustain switch…
- REL2 – Envelope 2 Release (Decay) switch.
- VCA CV – Voltage Control patch point—disconnects ENV2.
Studio Electronics Midimini V30 is available now for $2999 USD.
More information here: Studio Electronics