Boss SY-1000 is a new flagship guitar Synthesizer pedal that offers six times the processing power of the SY-300 pedal plus deep synthesis power
Even though I’m not a dedicated guitar mag, pedals are my topic and especially if they include Synthesizer power. I love synthesizers in all forms. According to Boss, the SY-1000 is the most advanced guitar/bass synth they’ve ever made. It has a lot of DSP power that delivers six times more power than the former SY-300 guitar synth.
This can be recognized by the built-in engine: an SY-1000 patch includes three simultaneous instruments, each with a number of distinctive types to choose from and the possibility to combine/layer them. Plus, it has a ¼-inch input with which you can blend regular guitar/bass sounds alongside the three instruments. So you have sounds with up to 4 layers. That’s impressive but also the price of 999€. Quite expensive.
SY-1000, A Powerful & Versatile Synth Engine
Choose from ten oscillator waveforms—sine, triangle, PWM, three saw types (including Roland’s famous supersaw), and more. Then shape the sound with six different filters, amplifier control, two LFOs, and two powerful step sequencers. Optimum performance is realized with the GK input, but it’s also possible to play the Dynamic Synth via the normal guitar/bass input.
After shaping a basic sound with the Dynamic Synth, the fun’s just starting—with two-step sequencers, you can infuse it with movement to create complex textures that pulse, breathe, and groove. Each sequencer features 16 customizable steps that control pitch, filter, and amplitude independently. Better still, every step includes 13 different envelope curves for unprecedented sonic control. And by stacking three Dynamic Synths together, you can build massive moving sounds with three oscillators and six separate step sequencers!
Two Additional Synth Instruments
Complementing the powerful Dynamic Synth are two additional synth instruments. OSC Synth is an analog-style engine with lots of filter options, full ADSR control, and high-definition sound with the discrete GK input. Also included is a perfect sonic recreation of the Roland GR-300, the legendary 1980s analog guitar synth used by some of the world’s most influential guitarists.
The SY-1000 doesn’t stop at synthesis—it also features refreshed instrument modeling derived from historic BOSS and Roland GK gear. A large selection of electric, acoustic, and bass guitar types are available, each with independent tuning, EQ, virtual amp settings, and more. There’s also a highly expressive VIO Guitar instrument, which alters the input signal’s envelope and harmonic characteristics to create tones reminiscent of bowed instruments. Finally, the cool Poly FX instrument delivers richly textured voices with high-res definition only possible with GK processing.
Interface & Connections
The SY-1000’s signal processing/user interface are derived from BOSS’s flagship GT-1000 multi-effects and includes a large LCD display and hands-on knobs. And to speed up your patch workflow even more, you can save favorite instrument and effect setups in ready-to-go Variation libraries. By default, the SY-1000’s eight footswitches select patches, banks, and two control assignments. But you can easily reassign them to nearly any function you want.
Up to four external footswitches or two expression pedals are supported, and MIDI I/O is provided as well. The Main and Sub outputs are normally used for mixed stereo signals, but can also be configured as four discrete outputs, complete with dedicated EQ on each. And with the moveable effects loop, you can smoothly integrate all your external gear.
The SY-1000’s USB audio/MIDI interface opens a world of creative options with your favorite DAW. With the GK input, you’re able to record each of your instrument’s strings to separate audio tracks, either processed live or captured dry for later “re-synth” processing through the SY-1000. And with the Guitar-to-MIDI/Bass-to-MIDI function, you can use your axe to play soft synths, record MIDI sequences, input notation data, and more.
- BOSS’s most powerful guitar/bass synth and modeling processor ever
- Next-generation synth engine with custom DSP and 48 kHz/32-bit processing throughout
- Unprecedented sound and expression with three simultaneous instrument types and advanced real-time signal processing
- Each instrument provides pitch, level, and panning of each string for instant alternate tunings and wide, layered voicings
- New Dynamic Synth perfectly follows the guitar’s natural envelope for uncompromised tone shaping
- New sound engine and GK 13-pin interface deliver clear, dynamic sound and precision tracking with zero latency
- Dynamic Synth includes two 16-part step sequencers for evolving control of pitch, filter, and amplitude
- Newly refreshed versions of historic BOSS/Roland guitar synth and modeling technologies: OSC Synth, GR-300, E.Guitar, E.Bass, Acoustic, VIO Guitar, and Poly FX
- Normal ¼-inch guitar/bass input for blending and Dynamic Synth processing
- Premium effects and amps derived from the flagship GT-1000
- Large LCD and intuitive editing interface for free-flowing sound creation
- Eight freely assignable footswitches, external control support, effects loop, and configurable Main/Sub outputs
- USB Audio/MIDI and MIDI I/O, plus Guitar-to-MIDI/Bass-to-MIDI function
- Dedicated Guitar and Bass modes
- Customize sounds with the BOSS Tone Studio editor and download pro patches at BOSS Tone Central
- Roland GK-compatible pickup and 13-pin cable required for full access to all synth and modeling features
Boss SY-1000 is available soon for 999€ worldwide.
More information here: Boss
Available for pre-order at our partner