discoDSP OB-Xd V1.5 is the latest version of the best-known free synth plugin that emulates the Oberheim OB-X Synthesizer and now with VST3 support & more.
discoDSP has today released a major update for the OB-Xd Synthesizer plugin, a free synth that emulates the Oberheim OB-X. The version features VST3 support, a new GUI and more polyphony (32 voices).
Another cool addition is a new preset browser which can be activated via drop-down menu with a right-click.
OB-Xd is based on the Oberheim OB-X. It attempts to recreate its sound and behavior, but as the original was very limited in some important ways a number of things were added or altered to the original design.
The OB-Xd was designed to sound as good and as rich as the original. It implements micro random detuning which is a big part of that sound. However, it was not designed as a self-contained completely independent soft-synth. It needs to be contained within a VST framework where things like transposition, automation, layering, arpeggiation, etc., are available.
Also, like many synths of the OB-X’s generation, the OB-Xd has no internal effects so its sounds and textures can be greatly enhanced by the use of additional processing like chorus, reverb, delay, etc.
New In OB-Xd v1.5
- New classic GUI.
- VST3 support.
- Default skin changed to discoDSP Blue.
- Polyphony raised to 32 voices (thanks to Shane Dunne).
- Windows (code signed), macOS (notarized) and Linux standalone apps.
- Updated framework.
- Drop-down menu fixes and enhancements.
- Preset browser (using drop-down menu with right-click or ctrl/cmd-click on the GUI).
- Fixed unsorted banks listed on the drop-down menu.
- Compiled with VS2019, XCode 10.3 and Ubuntu 18 GCC 7.3.
- Rewritten macOS installer with Packages ap
discoDSP OB-Xd v.1.5 is available now for free for PC & Mac. You can support the development of further versions with a purchase of this version for $49 USD.
More information here: discoDSP