At Superbooth 2019, I had the chance to interview Aaron Higgins, the mastermind behind the 1010music products. His newest product is the Blackbox, a small portable powerful sampler & groovebox. They benefit from their already available Eurorack modules (Bitbox…) and adds aspects from three modules into a desktop unit: sampler/looper, sequencer, and effects.
With the Blackbox you can sample in real-time, playback samples from a micro-SD card and manipulate them: slice, add effects, etc. It features also an internal sequencer that let you sequence up to 16 pads, more sounds are possible if you use slices. Clever is the built-in USB port with which you can connect a MIDI controller like a pad or keyboard in it.
Another highlight of this lightweight groove-box is the ability to power it with a power bank. With a capacity of 10.000 mAh, you can play up to 8 hours what is impressive in my opinion. Not only did we talk about the current Blackbox but also about the future and possible updates.
A killer update, in my opinion, would be a GRANULAR mode in this little sampler. Since there are not many good hardware granular Synthesizers on the market, this would be an excellent add-on for the Blackbox. I hope this will be implemented in the future. Nonetheless, I’m sure that 1010music has developed here a big seller that will be interested in many people.
- Record/edit samples and sequences to create songs via a fast, intuitive touchscreen interface.
- Expandable microSD memory slot for importing WAVs, hours of audio recording/playback time and saving samples and Presets.
- Combine loops with different tempos using built-in BPM synchronization and beat-slicing.
- Play one-shot samples and loops from pads and/or a virtual keyboard.
- Create and edit sequences using a standard Piano Roll interface.
- Connect external hardware via USB to expand performance and control capabilities.
- Make music anywhere thanks to a compact and nearly indestructible design.
- Includes a sound library of beat packs with loops and one-shots by SoundTrack Loops and Loopmasters.
- Input/output connectors to easily integrate with other studio and live sound tools: MIDI IO and Clock via USB and TRS, one 1/8” Audio In, three 1/8” Audio Outs plus a 1/8” Headphone/Stereo Output and USB power.
1010music Blackbox is available now for $599 USD /639€.
More information here: 1010music
Available here at our partners