On Superbooth 2019, Superlative has announced the SB-1 analog Synthesizer. According to the developer, it’s a tribute to this iconic Roland SH-101 and offers a brand new design as well as new features.
Highlights are a super thin design with developed tactile rubber keys, a second sequencer line for external gear and new I/O connectivities. Sexy Tribute to the SH-101 with battery-power
In my opinion, this is the sexiest tribute to the Roland SH-101 I ‘ve seen so far. Not only the design and sound can convince me but also the internal battery that gives you more than 8 hours of power. By contrast, the Behringer MS-101 looks very boring and inspired. It is a personal matter of taste but I really like the design of the Superlative SB-1, it’s fresh and offers clever additions.
Here is my first look on the Superlative SB-1 as well as an interview with the developer and his background.
News From April 11, 2019
As you will notice, new synthesizers are announced almost every day. No wonder, in a month is the Superbooth 2019. A new company with the name Superlative has today announced a new Synthesizer, which we know from the past, but modernized for the present time. The SB-1/Space is an analog Synthesizer with a 3340 VCO and a 4-pole OTA VCF with discrete envelope. Yes, the thoughts are right, it will be a similar synthesizer as the iconic Roland SH-101 Synthesizer.
The synth will feature a newly-developed full-size keyboard based on tactile rubber as well as equipment with a wide range of I/O (USB, MIDI, CV/gate in-/output. Interestingly, it owns a sequencer with two layers: one for the internal synth and one for external devices. Another very different feature compared to the Behringer MS-101 is the rechargeability of this synth. The SB-1 will feature a built-in battery that guarantees super portability. I look forward to seeing it at Superbooth. Stay tuned!
What We Know So Far:
- Analog: replica 3340 voltage controlled oscillator and classic 4-pole OTA VCF with discrete envelope- It’s exactly what you think it is.
- Connectivity: USB, MIDI, and CV/gate input and output allow for simple musical interfacing with other synthesizers and modular gear.
- Keyboard: The SB-1 utilizes a newly-developed full-size keyboard based on tactile rubber dome switches for a fast and responsive feel.
- Portability: A precision engineered chassis enables a new form factor that is thinner than one inch, yet rugged enough for everyday portability and use.
- Recharging: The SB-1 is the first ever analog synthesizer to incorporate a rechargeable battery, allowing all-day playability between charges.
- Sequencer: A new dual-layer sequencer allows for synchronized control of a second instrument via CV/gate or MIDI for a dynamic synth duet.
Superlative SB-1 will be available in 2019. Price TBA
More information here: Superlative