At Superbooth 19, I had the opportunity to interview Laurent of Baloran, the company behind the River Synthesizer from France. The River is an 8-voice multi-timbral polyphonic analog Synthesizer that is based on 8 voice cards of the Moog Music Source. Each voice features 2 VCO’s, 1 VCF, 2 envelopes, 1 VCA, 1 LFO and more.
Besides, each layer features a 48-step poly sequencer as well as an arpeggiator. To refine the sounds, it comes with an effect section that includes a triple analog chorus/flanger and a digital delay & reverb. Also, it supports monophonic aftertouch and MPE. Sounds can be saved in the memory that has a limited of 160 single and 40 multi-sounds. Check out below the latest video from Superbooth 19 that includes an interview with Laurent (developer) and for and additional information about The River Synthesizer.
- 100% subtractive analog synthesis
- Polyphony with 8 voices, each voice card being a changeable physical card.
- 2 VCO, 1 VCF, 2 envelopes, 1 VCA, 1 LFO per voice, hardware routing for the modulations.
- All components are operated while the instrument is switched on. Adjustments of micro-voltage taking into account the temperature insures the accuracy of the instrument.
- Complete multitimbrality: 8 channels with free voice/channel allocation.
- Wide-ranging management of the expressivity: aftertouch channel, pseudo aftertouch polyphony, attack AND release velocity.
- High-end TP/8 5 Octaves Fatar keyboard.
- Complete management of outputs / inputs by layer: 4 simultaneous layers allowing to create complex areas, to control the MIDI and USB inputs, to drive the outputs for MIDI, USB and the 16 CVs and 8 Gates.
- CHORD and HOLD modes.
- One intuitive sequencer per layer (4 notes, 48 steps polyphonic). Recording step by step in real time. Transposition of play.
- One arpeggiator per layer, numerous motifs and parameters. Transposition of play.
- Control of the external MIDI clocks and REAL TIME messages.
- Simplified connection with software programs (MIDI and USB).
- Complete bidirectional transmission of all the sound commands (CC and NRPN).
- Advanced MPE compatibility with the configurable control of all the Axes.
- CV LFO to add a modulation to external analog devices used under power.
- Effects: Analog Triple Chorus / Flanger + digital Echo / Reverberation. 100% analog pathway. Storage of the sound settings.
- Storage of 160 SINGLE programs, 40 MULTI programs carrying over all the parameters, including the current programs, effects and profile parameters, 40 effects programs, 10 profiles of combined layers. Backup and restoring through SysEx on USB.
- 2 pairs of stereo XLR and TRS 6.35 jack outputs.
- 8 individual outputs TS 6.35 jack.
- 1 earphones output 6.35 jack (front side) with dedicated potentiometer.
- 1 pair of audio stereo input TS 6.35 jack routed to the effects section.
- 3 MIDI In, Out and Thru 5 pin DIN connectors.
- 3 USB type B ports for MIDI driving through USB and update of the operating systems.
- 2 inputs Contacts Pedal and 1 entry Expression Pedal.
- Nominal voltage adaptable to all networks through the services of an approved technician.
- Electricity requirements: 120VA. IEC filtered socket.
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 104 x 52 (radiator included) x 20 cm.
- Weight: 26 kg (Optional Flightcase: add 15 kg).
Baloran The River is available for 4992€ (excl. VAT), 5990€ with VAT of 20% exclude shipment. The Flightcase is mandatory for one shipment, 175€ before tax, 210€ with 20% VAT.
More information here: Baloran