It’s no secret that I’m a full supporter of iOS music apps. When Apple introduced the first watch, I was not the biggest fan and until today I’m still not convinced. Maybe because there are no real music apps on the Apple Watch. With the MidiWrist, Geert Bevin, developer of the excellent Moog Music iOS apps, presents an app for the Apple Watch that can be very useful for musicians.
MidiWrist transforms your Apple Watch (Series 4 or later recommended) into a wireless MIDI controller. You do not need much to start working with it: a CoreMIDI application is a minimum requirement. From this point, you can work with apps, hardware Synthesizer or effect processors.
What makes this app so interesting is its usability in live use. This allows you to quickly change parameters or patches without bending to the ground or moving around. It goes faster and you save ways. In my opinion, an app that makes the Apple Watch more interesting! Now your synthesizer can be operated not only with your fingers but also with your wrist!
MidiWrist turns your Apple Watch into a wireless MIDI controller. The tactile feel of the digital crown combined with haptic feedback, gives you control over any MIDI synthesizer by touching your wrist, even when you’re not looking. MidiWrist makes no sound on its own and requires an Apple Watch to function. For best performance, an Apple Watch Series 4 or later is recommended.
Any CoreMIDI application or device can be controlled by MidiWrist. This includes Virtual MIDI, Network MIDI, Bluetooth MIDI and Physical MIDI Devices through a supported MIDI hardware interface.
- Four knobs can be controlled with the digital crown
- Macro control over multiple synth parameters from the digital crown
- Remotely Play / Stop / Record / Rewind your DAW from your Watch
- Knobs can be controlled individually or simultaneously
- Knobs can be linked to preserving their offsets
- Four buttons can be toggled by tapping the Watch
- Buttons can either be stateful or momentary
- Program changes through the digital crown or by tapping the Watch
- Transport control over Midi Machine Control (MMC)
- XY pad with individual messages for each axis
- Optional haptic feedback for all Watch interactions
- Optional value display on the Watch
- Configurable colors for all knobs and buttons
- Configurable MIDI channels and CC numbers
- Save your configurations to preset for easy retrieval
- MIDI learn for easy controller configuration
- MIDI input to sync the state of the controllers with the controlled synths
- Advertise as a Bluetooth MIDI device
- Connect to other Bluetooth MIDI devices
- Monitor the MIDI values on the iPhone
- Low latency and fast response
MidiWrist is available now for $4.99 USD in the Apple App Store!
More information here: MidiWrist