Roland AIRA presented today the AIRA TR-8S, a further development of the AIRA TR-8 drum machine. It features again the best-known ACB modelled drum circuits (808, 606, 909, 707, 727 and even several modified versions) but this time directly built-in the device.
Also the new version features ACB meets samples technology. This allows users finally to import stereo samples via a SD card slot. Like the TR-sounds, you can deeply manipulate samples with immediate hands-on control. On topic, the new version comes with drumatic effects to give a lively sound to the patterns.
Building upon the success of the TR-8, the Roland AIRA TR-8S Rhythm Performer combines the legendary sound, form, and function of the vintage TR-808, 606, 909, 707, and 727 rhythm machines with cutting-edge performance and live pattern manipulation capabilities to create a modern-day classic, well-suited for stage or studio. Build your dream kit with the onboard drum sounds, or peruse and layer Roland’s vast stereo sample collection to create original tones never heard before. What’s more, the SD card slot allows you to import your own samples. Roland developed the Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology, which faithfully recreates the tonality and behavior of true-analog circuits. With ACB, every detail of these original machines is captured, including the variations in tone that occur when multiple instruments are entered in accented steps.
New Users Kids
The TR-8S features 128 user kits made up of 11 instruments, each assigned a tone. What’s more, each tone has several variations and each tone is freely assignable to any of the 11 instrument slots. Each channel offers controls for tune, decay, and an assignable customized control knob, which places all the sound-shaping power within easy reach. You can program on the 16 TR-REC buttons or use the velocity-sensitive performance pad to play live, or record into the sequencer. You can move seamlessly between playing and editing, allowing you to reshape your drum parts without ever interrupting your flow. Each of the 128 patterns can store eight variations and three kinds of fills. Patterns and variations can be played or chained in any order, plus the auto-fill function automatically plays a fill every 2, 4, 8, 16, or 32 measures.
The sounds can be step recorded or recorded in real-time to a 16-step sequencer with eight (A-H) pattern variations. Additional pattern variations are available through rolls and the Scatter function, which can reverse, glitch, gate, truncate, and stutter sounds in perfect synchronization. The TR-8S features the ability to program locks into the sequencer per step or record motion into patterns to create everything from subtle movements to dramatic tonal shifts. You can automate bass drum tuning, snare pitch, panning, effects, or create melodies and bass lines. The motion recording is simple to use, and motion playback can be instantly enabled or disabled.
The TR-8S features eight flexible outputs, which are freely assignable to any sound or groups of sounds. Additionally, the external input allows audio to pass through the TR-8 with the ability to sequence side-chain and gate effects. The USB port connects the TR-8S to a computer, offering both MIDI and audio capabilities. The Roland AIRA TR-8S ships with an AC power adapter.
Design Kits with Authentic TR Drums, Sampled Sounds, and Effects
- Transistor Rhythms
- The TR-8S has every sound from the most sought-after TR drum machines, with detailed circuit-models of the 808, 606, 909, 707, 727 and even several modified versions
- Each machine is a detailed, down-to-the-circuit model that sounds and behaves exactly like the original hardware
- ACB Meets Samples
- Pull from the extensive collection of preset stereo samples or import your own using the SD card slot
- Like the TR sounds, you can deeply manipulate samples with immediate hands-on control
- Adjust decay, tuning, and alter sample start points, speed, and direction
- Create a kit entirely from samples or mix and match with TR sounds for genre-defying drum tracks that demand attention
- Drumatic Effects
- Make a drum part stand out by creating depth and space
- Add delay on a rim-shot, overdrive on a kick, filters on toms and cymbals, or just the right amount of reverb on select instruments
- In addition to the Master FX knob, each channel has a customizable CTRL knob, placing all this sound-shaping power within easy reach
- Assign any parameter needed for direct and immediate access to the CTRL knob or Master FX knob
- Both Instrument and Master Effects, along with their precise settings, are saved with each kit, making your productions always performance-ready
- Transistor Rhythms
Create Evolving Patterns with Variations, Fills, and Motion
- Fast, Fluid, and Fun
- You can program on the 16 TR-REC buttons or use the velocity-sensitive performance pad to play live, or record into the sequencer.
- Move seamlessly between playing and editing
- Reshape your drum parts without ever interrupting your flow
- Create intricate grooves and detailed fills using velocity, accents, flams, and adjustable sub-steps for modern rolls and ratcheting
- Get experimental with unusual polyrhythms and complex meters by adjusting the length or “last step” of each drum part
- Variations on a Theme
- Keep things fresh and exciting, even during extended live sets
- The TR-8S can store 128 patterns, each with eight variations and three kinds of fills
- Patterns and variations can be played or chained in any order
- Copy patterns on the fly, stay ahead of the beat, and work on patterns that aren’t currently playing
- Each pattern can include the kit, knob positions, effect settings, and tempo, providing instant recall and enough storage and flexibility to play an entire set without ever repeating a measure in the same way
- Filling In
- Each pattern in the TR-8S can contain two fills which you can customize or create from scratch.
- Adjustable Scatter fill, which slices and dices a measure into short bursts of cool and controlled chaos.
- Hands-free Auto-Fill: Automate fills every 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32 measures for interesting dynamics to your performances
- In Motion
- Locking parameters to steps or recording motion into patterns can give you everything from subtle movements to dramatic tonal shifts.
- Automate bass drum tuning, snare pitch, panning, effects
- Create melodies and bass lines
- Change the sound of a kit for different song sections
- Motion recording is immediate and effortless, and motion playback can be instantly enabled or disabled
At Home in the Studio, Made for the Stage
- Eight Analog Outputs
- The TR-8S has eight separate analog outputs,
- Process individual drum sounds through external effects or send them into separate channels of your mixer or DAW
- The TR-8S sounds big, punchy, and spacious thanks to its high-resolution 24-bit/96 kHz digital-to-analog converters
- Trigger Out, External In
- The TR-8S has a dedicated trigger output as well as stereo audio inputs for external sources.
- Assignable outputs can be used as additional triggers, allowing you to control external instruments and mix them with the TR-8S’s internal sounds
- Each pattern has a dedicated trigger track for access to all kinds of variations with no need to use up an instrument
- Audio and MIDI Interface
- The TR-8S is a complete multi-channel audio and MIDI interface.
- Connect the TR-8S to a computer or AIRA Link host and transfer MIDI and high-resolution audio over a single USB cable
- Record each drum instrument to a different channel for individual processing and recording
- Automate parameter movements from your DAW by CC messages
- Sync the TR-8S to your computer or Roland MX-1 Mix Performer for live sets or late-night jam sessions
- Refined Design with a Modern Touch
- RGB color faders and TR-REC buttons let you customize the brightness, glow, and color of each element
- The TR-8S offers crucial visual feedback about what’s playing, what’s muted, which instruments are grouped, and more
- Total Recall
- Every kit, pattern, and setting can be backed up on an SD card
The new Roland TR-8S will be available soon for a price of 699.99$
More information here: Roland AIRA