Musicians, graphic designers or film producers. Only a few want to miss the perfectly coordinated macOS system. Lately, however, there has been an increasing consideration of users to change the system because Apple has no longer offered machines that suits the needs of processional users. For example, most of the new machines simply don’t have the connections or are barely expandable in terms of performances (RAM, SSD extension…). In addition, the computers have become much more expensive in recent years. Many of these reasons led me to build a Hackintosh system (i7 6700 K, 16 GB..) in the middle of this year, which I don’t regret until today.
Simply Turn A Consumer Machine Into A Pro Machine
But to offer the professional a device that can handle this tasks, Apple announced a modular Mac Pro for the future and an iMac Pro for late 2017. After the last one announced in June, it is now finally available and the prices are absolutely crazy. The best iMac Pro is available for an “affordable” $ 13,348 USD and even more in Europe (including tax)
The ultimate configuration has a 27“ 5K display with a 18 core Xenon CPU, 128 GB of RAM, an AMD Vega graphic card and 4 TB SSD. Of course, the whole thing sounds very performant and cool. To be honest who doesn’t want such a computer in his studio and one that does not look like a concrete block.
A Powerful Device In The Wrong Case
Although the whole looks very pretty and modern, the new iMac Pro is just an answer from Apple to say we continue to make professional machines. In order to be able to work professionally and for a long time with one machine, not only cool components are necessary but also the possibility to be able to upgrade the components so that you have every time a modern machine. Keep in mind the sensational no-brainer price of over $13.000 USD (entry level version at $5.000 USD). The idea of upgrading the components can be buried. As the first technology YouTuber’s have already found out, the new iMac Pro is not upgradeable. If you want more RAM, you have to buy the expensive ones from the beginning. If you really want to buy an iMac Pro, you should think twice about which configuration to choose.
From my point of view, the iMac Pro is not the perfect solution for professionals either. He may look very nice in the office, but the ultimate workstation is it not. Working with performance intensive programs, I assume that the machine can be loud. Another reason for me to switch to a Hackintosh was that I have equipped my computer with an insulation which makes the devices almost noiseless even under full load. One can only hope that Apple develops a more interesting computer with the modular Mac Pro.
Logic Pro X & Final Cut Pro X Updates !
Beside this, Apple also launched new versions of Logic Pro X and Final Cut Pro X optimised for the new iMac Pro.
New in Apple Logic Pro X 10.3.3
- Logic Pro X now supports up to 36 cores.
- Sculpture and Amp Designer are now optimized for iMac Pro, and deliver up to 12 times the performance compared to previous versions.
- Sculpture offers a new high-definition mode that provides higher string resolution.
- Improvements and bug fixes
Available here: Logic Pro X
New in Final Cut Pro 10.4
360 VR editing:
- Import and edit 360° equirectangular video in a wide range of formats and frame sizes.
- Output 360° video to a connected VR headset*.
- Open the 360° viewer to simultaneously monitor headset and equirectangular views while editing.
- Option to track movement of a VR headset in the 360° viewer in Final Cut Pro.
- Add 360° effects including blurs, glows, and more.
- Share 360° video directly to YouTube, Facebook, and Vimeo.
- Use the 360° patch to instantly remove cameras and rigs from the scene.
- Use the Horizon overlay to easily change the orientation of 360° video right in the viewer.
- Edit 360° video into a non-360° project and animate the pan, tilt, and zoom.
- Place any graphic, still, or video into a 360° project, then reposition and resize to fit perfectly into the 360° scene.
- Support for monoscopic and stereoscopic 360° video.
- and much more
Available here: Final Cut Pro X
More information here: Apple