Arturia released just before the weekend a major Firmware update v.2 of their MIDI and CV workstation Beatstep Pro. Firmware 2 can be described as feature request update because the company included a lot new features coming directly from the user. It comes with a wide range of new features, including a new polyrhythmic drum sequencer, a Scene mode, better streamlined editing functionalities, KORG Volca-friendly workflows and more.
Especially the new polyrhythmic drum sequencer is a great addition because this allows musicians to work completely different with the Beatstep Pro than before. A good decision in my eyes to bring this from the Drumbrute now to the Beatstep Pro. Check out below all individual videos where you get an insight in all new features.
- SHIFT + Step 2 = Clear steps in selected track
- SHIFT + Step 9 (in Controller Mode) = Switch between Roller and Looper, affects Controller Mode and the three sequencers.
- Roller in melodic mode is an arpeggiator that plays notes in the order where they were pressed.
- SHIFT + Step 14 (Controller Mode) = Wait to load pattern
- SHIFT + Step 15 (Controller Mode) = Global Tempo
- SHIFT + Step 16 (Drum Mode) = Polyrhythm
- BeatStep Pro is Synchronizable with Volcas
- Create longer notes in the drum sequencer using Ties
- Scales are now applied after the sequence
- Ability to enter notes in melodic sequencer by hitting a pad then tapping one or multiple steps.
- Set MIDI Channel as part of the Drum Map. Each pad can be set to User Channel or to a fixed channel between 1 and 16.
- Create a mode where random will only randomize the octave of the notes and not the notes in Sequencer 1 & 2.
- Velocity CV Out can now be attenuated from the MCC
- Set custom length for each drum track using Polyrhythm
- Scenes mode : A Scene contains a pattern or a chain for Sequencer 1, Sequencer 2 and Drum that can be instantly recalled.
- There are 16 available Scenes.
- Change the looper start point in the sequence by pressing steps
- Fast Tie mode now available in Drum Sequencer. Fast Ties get applied after a short time
The Polyrhythm mode
New Roller & Arpeggiator:
- Shift + Swing now properly work together
- Pad velocity in Controller Mode now functional
- Pads now light up when setting Program Changes
- Knobs can now be set to control Aftertouch in Controller Mode
- Selected Pad of Drum Sequencer is properly lit in Real-Time recording
- Step + Pad now working with Drums sequencer with record active
- Pressing step buttons to change Project doesn’t send unwanted CC messages
- No more crashes on pattern change after external transpose with transpose link
- Improvements to HUI protocol when using Pro Tools 10
- Sequences are now properly updated with Preset Link
- First pattern of a chain is now played once when Wait to Load Pattern = Off
- Transpose link + chaining pattern now properly work together
- No more stuck notes on Stop/Pause using analog clock
- No more drifting of the MIDI clock output when using internal clock
- No more notes jumped when using the Looper with MIDI, USB or Clk Sync
- Exiting Looper now plays the right note information
- Control mode = Knob jumping from 127 to 0 with slow
Randomness & Step Edition:
Drum Tie-Note Function & Volca Compatibility:
The firmware update v.2.0 is now available for free for existing users of the Arturia Beatstep Pro
More informations here: Arturia Beatstep Pro Firmware v.2
Available here: Arturia Beatstep Pro