Xhun Audio had for long time an excellent virtual analog Synthesizer which emulated excellent the characteristics of the Moog Little Phatty but only for Windows. After long coding, the company announced today the official release of the Xhun Audio LittleOne 3.0, a major new version with finally mac support. As mac user, I’m looking now forward to checking this out because i had no chance to play with it because I don’t have currently a windows system.
LittleOne 3.0 offers a full DSP reboot and is built on a development framework that took several years to complete, offering native cross-platform compatibility.
After several years of constant research and development, LittleOne version 3.0 represents a huge step forward compared to the previous versions of the software, thanks to the adoption of the analogue technology simulation/emulation techniques available today.
Completely re-written from the ground up in efficient C++, LittleOne version 3.0 brings a massive improvement on the DSP side (for both the synthesizer section and for the sequencers and effects processors included in the rack section) as well as a full native cross-platform compatibility. It is available for both Windows and macOS (formerly OS X) as 32-bit / 64-bit plugins in VST (2.4), VST3 and AU formats.
Features of LittleOne 3.0 Synthesizer
- Analogue modeling simulation of real analogue hardware, achieved by the adoption of the Advanced Component Simulation (ACS) approach – oscillators, filters, envelopes (, …) are built preserving their original architecture, featuring all the micro-instabilities and imperfections of the analogue technology.
- Full 64-bit processing accuracy for every single aspect of the simulation.
- An all-in-one complete analogue synthesizer + sequencer + trancegate + rack effects setup.
- Two aliasing-free analogue modeled oscillators proving the same capacitors’ charging/discharging responses as found on the original analogue circuits, with a continuous wave selection (morphing) mode between triangle, sawtooth, square, pulse.
- A 4-pole resonant low pass ladder filter (modeled by the adoption of the topology-preserving transform / zero-delay feedback approach) proving all the original non-linearities, frequency responses (also at extreme modulation scenarios), self-oscillation, soft-clipping and overload control.
- Two 4-stage (ADSR) envelope generators proving the same capacitors’ charging/discharging responses as found on the original analogue circuits.
- Extended modulation possibilities, including a white noise generator, a sample-and-hold source and a multi-waveform low-frequency-oscillator (LFO) featuring the original frequency range (from 0.2 Hz up to 500 Hz), allowing for advanced frequency modulation designs.
- True analogue polyphony. In addition to a classic monophonic mode, polyphony (4-voices) is achieved by simulating four fully-independent synthesis systems (devices) separately, as expected in the original hardware specification extension. Each of the four independent voices (devices) can also be tuned/detuned separately for an even more deep and rich polyphonic sound.
- Analogue components selector. Choose what kind of components to use inside LittleOne: select ultra-stable components, phase-locked oscillators (like in most recent analogue synthesizers) or select aged, much more unstable components and disable the phase-lock of the main oscillators.
- Accede all the advanced features like the alternative modulation sources/destinations, set the velocity to control the filter cutoff, extend the pitch bend range, select the MIDI input channel and much more – all from the operating system led display.
- Including XSQ16A unit (rack), a monophonic 16-step analogue sequencer.
- Including GAT3D unit (rack), a 16-step trancegate effect.
- Including two insert/master effects slots with the possibility to choose 5 effect processors.
- X-TREME unit (rack), an accurately modeled, ground-shaking tube distortion effect.
- FLANG-R unit (rack), an expressive stereo flanger effect.
- CHOR-S unit (rack), an expressive stereo chorus effect.
- D-LAY unit (rack), a tempo-synced stereo delay effect.
- REEVERB unit (rack), a resonator-based electronic reverb effect.
- Including a huge 400+ ready-to-use factory presets collection covering all styles, from vintage analogue leads and basses to contemporary cutting-edge trance stabs, motion pads and more.
- Additional presets/patches available as commercial expansions.
- MIDI Automation, following the original hardware MIDI CC# specs.
- Supported sample rates from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz.
LittleOne 3.0 for Windows and macOS (VST/AU) is now available for purchase for the introductory price of 49.90 EUR until May 15th, 2017 from the official developer website. The regular price is 69 EUR. Registered users of the previous version of LittleOne get a free upgrade to version 3.x.
Beside the official release of LittleOne 3.0, Xhun Audio also announced an update for the Big Steps expansion pack, featuring all the presets and sequences previously available but with some improvements, in a format 100% compatible with the new preset manager in LittleOne. Owners of the BigSteps will receive the upgrade for free and a free bonus pack with a selection of presets is also now available for download for the LittleOne 3.0
Available here: Xhun Audio LittleOne Synthesizer