KORG announced today the Odyssey Synthesizer as desktop edition. I wrote already some days ago about a leak on Instagram. Now it’s official and the price is pretty interesting. For 599 USD, you can buy now a ARP Odyssey Module in Rev1 or Rev3.
Since its appearance in 1972, the ARP Odyssey has been loved by countless musicians as a classic analog Synthesizer. Forty years later, in 2015, with the advisory assistance of David Friend, co-founder of the ARP Instruments company, KORG resurrected the ARP ODYSSEY with a complete reproduction of the ARP Odyssey’s original circuitry. The ARP sound, which continues to be envied as an iconic analog Synthesizer, was once again back in the hands of today’s musicians. Now, KORG has further broadened the reach of the ARP ODYSSEY in today’s world by releasing a new model.
The ARP ODYSSEY Module is a keyboard-less ARP ODYSSEY with the very same analog synthesis circuitry that completely reproduces the original. To fit perfectly in today’s DAW-centric music production environments, we provide it in a more compact module form. The lineup includes two models, the white Rev1 and the black and orange Rev3, reproducing traditional styling in a cutting-edge tabletop body. The real ARP sound that transcends history is once again available to the world.
- 2VCO. The duophonic design allows two different pitches to sound when you play two notes.
- The high degree of pitch stability for which the ARP Odyssey was remarkable in its time has been perfectly reproduced.
- Pitch is variable over a wide range of 20 Hz–2 kHz.
- Pitch modulation and pulse width modulation can be controlled.
- Oscillator sync provides sharp, great-sounding overtones extending into a high range.
- Noise generator provides two noise types: white and pink.
- Powerful LFO can be used as a modulation source for the oscillator or filter, or as a trigger source for sample & hold.
- Ring modulator generates metallic sounds with rich overtones.
- The distinctive S/H MIXER lets you easily create sample & hold sounds by using the oscillator or noise generator as a source that’s triggered by the LFO or keyboard.
- The three types of low-pass filter found on different production runs of the original ARP Odyssey are all provided. With a single switch you can select any one of these filters with their differing characteristics: TYPE I (Rev1) is a 12 dB/octave filter with a sharp and punchy sound, TYPE II (Rev2) is a 24 dB/octave filter that’s great for thick low sounds, and TYPE III (Rev3) features excellent stability even when the resonance is increased.
- A wide variety of modulation sources such as S/H, LFO, ADSR, and AR can be used to modulate the filter.
- A high-pass filter is provided following the low-pass filter, giving you even broader sound design possibilities.
- A new function, the DRIVE switch generates extreme and aggressive sounds.
- VCA GAIN slider leaves the note sustaining. Ideal for sound design.
- Envelope generator with two types: ADSR and AR. This can be used not only for the VCA but also to modulate the filter or oscillator.
- The original PPC (Proportional Pitch Control) based on a rubber pad has been reproduced. Press the rubber pad with your finger to control pitch bend or vibrato depth in proportion to the pressure.
- A portamento slider and transpose switch are provided. You can also use a switch to select either of the ways in which Rev1 and Rev2/3 of the original ARP Odyssey differ as to whether portamento is applied the moment that you operate the transpose lever.
- Two types of audio output jack are provided: 1/4″ phone and XLR.
- External audio input jack is provided, allowing you to process sound from an external device.
- Headphone jack with adjustable volume is provided. By connecting the headphone jack to the external audio input jack, you can apply self-feedback to generate powerful sounds.
- CV, GATE, and TRIG jacks are provided, letting you send or receive analog signals to operate the instrument. If you connect the GATE OUT jack to the TRIG IN jack, the EG will not be triggered, allowing you to play legato.
- Both 1/4″ size and mini-size patch cables are included.
- MIDI IN connector and USB MIDI port are provided, allowing connection to a PC or MIDI device
More Informations here: Odyssey Module