Percussa mSSP (Micro Super Signal Processor) is a powerful multi-purpose Eurorack module that offers deep sound design options in a small form factor!
It seems like we are in the hot phase of Synthesizer Kickstarter projects. After the TUNNELS and RAVEN synth voice Euroack module celebrated its premiere this week, it continues with a new module from Percussa. Who remembers the last product from Percussa, this was the SSP (Super Signal Processor) which is extremely powerful, has infinite possibilities but is to big and a bit too expensive for many musicians. Now the developers reacted and presented the mSSP, a slimmed-down version of the SSP but with the same power.
Same as the SSP, is the mSSP a powerful, multi-purpose Eurorack module that can a big arsenal of synthesis and DSP modules but also allows to run Linux/ARM VST plugins. On the power side, it features also a quad-core ARM cortex A17 processor @ 1.8 GHz, high-end AKM audio converters with 8 in and 4 outs at 192kHz-32-bit. Compared to the SSP, the mSSP has a smaller form-factor, less hardware controls, less internal memory and also reduced connectivity.
It comes with 50 different preloaded patches that includes wavetable, granular, sampling, traditional, multi-channel audio processor and more. Cool here is that users can expand these patches with new ones created on the SSP or from the community. In total, a very interesting and powerful Eurorack module that offers a lot of options in a small form factor.
The Percussa micro Super Signal Processor (mSSP) Eurorack Module is a powerful Eurorack DSP module based on one of the fastest ARM processors available, the quad core Cortex A17 at 1.8GHz, and high end AKM audio converters offering 8 in / 4 out with up to 192kHz sample rate and 32-bit resolution.
It comes with 50 modular synthesis patches offering polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling and traditional synthesis techniques, multi-channel audio processing and much more, all in only 26HP of rack space and for only $549.
- Audio and Control Voltage I/O
- 8 inputs via high end AKM ADC with 32 bit resolution supporting sample rates of 192kHz, 96kHz and 48kHz (AK5558)
- 4 outputs via high end AKM DAC with 32 bit resolution supporting sample rates of 192kHz, 96kHz and 48kHz (AK4454)
- DC coupled inputs and outputs, eurorack voltage compliant (-5V to +5V)
- All inputs and outputs support any signal type (audio, control, gate, trigger, etc)
- Low-noise power supplies and op-amp stages, featuring 0.1% resistors
- DSP Processing
- Quad core CPU running at 1.8 GHz per core with NEON SIMD parallel processing
- 32-bit floating point ADC/DAC input and output with 64-bit DSP algorithms
- Capable of running multiple DSP modules in parallel on multiple cores
- Synthesis Engine
- Preloaded with 50 modular synthesis patches covering a wide range of synthesis techniques and audio processing methods (half of the patches are chosen by Percussa with the other half to be voted on by backers)
- Custom DSP software with more than 25 built-in synth modules such as wavetable oscillators, granulars, samplers, filters and effects
- Patches can use combinations of many fundamental DSP modules allowing multichannel and multivoice architectures
- Supports loading your own WAV files into patch modules via USB flash drives (e.g. load your own samples in the wavetable oscillators, granular processors, samplers, etc)
- Modify, store and recall patch module parameters as presets (limited only by size of the USB stick)
- Storage and recall of presets and patches with the press of a button
- 100+ pre-recorded samples / wavetables with royalty free license for (m)SSP users
- Supports loading synthesis patches created on the SSP by Percussa or the SSP community
- Development Kit / VST support
- Support to develop and load your own Linux/ARM VST plugins (requires linux knowledge and compiling code for Linux/ARM)
- Example Quad VCA VST plugin code written in C++ using the JUCE framework already available for download on github and ready to go, including documentation in the SSP forum
- Display, Graphics and User Interface
- 320×240 pixel high contrast full colour IPS display (wide angle visibility)
- 4x High quality Aluminium Machined Knobs
- 4x Endless and Click-less High Quality Encoders
- 8x Industrial Temperature high quality Switches
- Shallow menu system (no menu diving)
- Large fonts for parameter display for instant readability
- Signal input / output Oscilloscope features
- 2 USB host ports supporting USB MIDI (MPE) controllers and USB flash drives (for storing samples, patches, presets and for loading software updates)
- Support for USB ethernet adapters for developers (see instructions in SSP forum)
- Serial linux console connector on back of PCB
- On-board Storage
- 4 GB flash
- 2 GB RAM
At Black Friday weekend, Percussa announced a smaller and affordable version of the Super Signal Processor (SSP) Eurorack module. Today, the developers has announced that both modules will be shipped with a new Mac & Windows editor that allows you to change internal patches.
This is a major update for both modules because it gives users a quicker way to change complete patches without less menu diving. Also very handy for live performances where you can directly manage your patches. If you have interest in the mSSP, check out the Kickstarter campaign until December 23, 2018 where you can pre-order the module for a lower price.
(Los Angeles, CA) On November 23rd, Percussa launched the Percussa micro Super Signal Processor (mSSP) Eurorack module on Kickstarter. The mSSP is the smaller, lower cost but equally powerful version of the successful Percussa SSP eurorack module which was funded on Kickstarter in September 2017 and which was delivered in June 2018.
After receiving feedback from backers and SSP users, Percussa decided to add a Mac & Windows patch editor to the Kickstarter project. The editor will work with the mSSP and SSP hardware, supporting real-time patch and parameters changes. The mSSP will still ship with 50 modular synthesis patches as planned, offering polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling and traditional synthesis techniques, multi-channel audio processing.
Percussa mSSP Eurorack module is available now for pre-order on Kickstarter for $549 and delivery starts in June 2019
More information here: Percussa