Delay plugins are essential for any music production. Some time ago, I posted an article in which I showed that good reverb plugin can’t cost anything either. Today, I want to continue there and introduce you a number of free Delay plugins which you receive for PC & Mac.
There are certainly more free delay plugins available but I try here to take only those which work on both operating systems. This list features only plugins which are 64 bit ready so you can use it also on modern music production machines.
Updated December 2018!
ATK Stereo Universal Delay
ATKStereoUniversalDelay is a stereo delay plugin.
- the delay on the stereo channel (one for each side)
- the amount of blend on each channel (the amount of the feedback loop that goes to the outputs)
- the feedback amount between the delay lines (one to one)
- the feedfoward amount between the delay lines (one to one)
More informations here: ATKStereoUniversalDelay
HYSTERESIS is a FREE glitch delay plugin geared toward creating robotic artifacts and abstract musical malfunctions. Hysteresis features a delay effect with stutter, lowpass filter and modulation effects thrown into the feedback signal path. Process anything from drums and percussion to synth lines and sound effects. On top of being able to create incredibly wild signal mutations, it can also be used to generate classic delay effects.
- Feedback-based delay effect with tempo sync
- Reversible stutter effect in the feedback path
- Lowpass filter in the feedback path
- Modulation with rate division/multiplication
- Over 100 presets from our top sound designers
- Cross-platform compatibility (PC/Mac – VST/AU 32bit & 64bit)
More informations here: Glitchmachines Hysteresis
KR-Delay FS R1.2.0
This release of KR-Delay FS comes with many new features like host sync capability for durations from 1/64 to 1/1 plus Triplet and Dot modes, three operating modes Stereo,Link and Ping-Pong, fully independent controls for all parameters in Stereo mode, independent Low Pass / High Pass resonant filters and Panning controls. The graphical display has visual representations of all the parameters of the effect processor for easier preset creation and adjustment.
- Input selector – Left, Right and Stereo
- Stereo, Link and Ping-Pong modes
- Host Sync mode from 1/64 – 1/1 plus T and D modes
- Independent Panning controls
- Low Pass/ High Pass Filters with Resonant control
- Filters On-Off switch
- Graphical representation of all effect parameters
- Independent feedback controls
- Independent Dry/Wet controls
- Independent Output Level controls from -12db to 12db
- Support for User definable presets(Save & Load) via Host interface
More informations here: KR-Delay FS
Ikjb Plugins: PitchedDelay
PitchedDelay is a delay that allows the pitching of the delayed signal. This can be done within or outside the feedback loop. Besides the pitch shifting it has feedback, a basic filter in the feedback path for signal manipulation and mono, stereo and ping-pong mode per delay.
The AU version is broken (tested) but the VST for Mac works fine
More informations here: PitchedDelay
Musical Entropy: Spaceship Delay (My highlight!)
Spaceship Delay is a multi-mode delay featuring classic modern and vintage sounding delays.
- Three delay modes: single, ping pong and dual / stereo.
- Standard delay effects controls such as the delay time in ms and in time subdivisions, the feedback (up to 110 % !), a tap tempo button etc.
- A modulation section.
- An attack control allowing the user to feed the delay line only when the input volume is higher than a given threshold.
- A spring reverb modeled from a famous tape machine (not that one, another one).
- An advanced filtering section including standard lowpass and highpass filters, shelf filters, and the simulation of two famous synthesizer filters (not these ones either, other ones).
- A specific “modeling” section giving access to different kind of delay line and saturation colourations, featuring a bitcrusher and a tube preamp simulation.
- A “Freeze” switch which can be used for some creative effect or to transform the effect into a looper with high delay values.
- Post effects such as extra filters and a vintage phaser.
- A few presets and a tutorial embedded in the plug-in.
It can be used as a typical delay for mixing vocals, adding some depth to drums, guitars, synth sounds, but also as a more creative effect, thanks to the attack control, even as a looper thanks to the freeze switch and the very long maximum delay sizes.
Spaceship Delay includes finally a few presets and an embedded tutorial feature, available from the about tab (by clicking on the logo in the user interface) where you can learn how to use properly the plug-in, with live tutorials, and how to do some classic delay tricks like doubling vocals, slapback rockabilly guitars, ambient sounds etc.
More informations here: Musical Entropy: Spaceship Delay