Quanta for iOS is a straightforward designed six-voice standalone & AUv3 granular Synthesizer for iOS (iPad) with the focus to teach granular synthesis in a simple way!
The waiting time is finally over! After the release of Quanta for PC/Mac, it’s now available for iOS. Quanta is an easy-to-use six-voice granular Synthesizer for iPad (standalone) and AUv3 that offers everything you need to learn granular synthesis. Highlights are: up to 50 simultaneous grains per voice, advanced sound parameters, sidecar oscillator, noise generator, dual filter, 4 fully customizable envelopes & LFO’s, near every parameter is available in the modulation and MPE support.
Compared to the desktop version (VST/AU/AAX), the engine is slightly dumbed down for CPU usage reasons. It has a maximum of 6 voices and and a maximum grain count of 50 instead of 100 (desktop). Nonetheless, if you love granular synthesis, don’t miss Quanta by Audio Damage!
Quanta is a six-voice granular synthesizer for iOS11+ in both standalone (with Inter-App Audio) and AudioUnit V3 formats. Quanta for iPad is fully compatible with the full version of Quanta for macOS and Windows; visit audiodamage.com for a PDF manual, audio samples, and video demonstrations. Quanta will work on any iPad that can run iOS 11, but keep in mind that it is a feature-heavy desktop quality synthesizer, and would prefer a 2017/2018 iPad, or an iPad Pro. If you’re experiencing CPU issues on lower-end machines with the standalone, try changing the main display to FEG or FLFO, which don’t require redrawing and which will be significantly lower in CPU usage.
- Multi-Format Sample Loader: Quanta can load AIFF, WAV, Broadcast WAV, FLAC, MP3, and Ogg in any sample rate, bit depth, and channel configuration.
- Grain Engine: Up to 50 simultaneous grains per voice, of up to 1 second long, with control over grain rate, pitch, direction, shape, length, panning, source position, and level.
- Sidecar Oscillator: Continuously variable wave shape, with pulse width modulation, and independent control over pitch (separate from grain engine.) Can be injected directly into grain engine.
- Noise Source: features a “color” control that affects tonal characteristics of the noise. Can be injected directly into grain engine.
- Dual Multi-Mode Filters can be used in serial or parallel modes, and include lowpass, highpass, bandpass, and notch in 2-pole and 4-pole configurations.
- Flexible Envelope Generator (FEG) x 4: The four FEGs are arbitrary function generators, with up to 99 steps, curve and step level control, arbitrary loop points, and host tempo sync.
- Flexible Low-Frequency Oscillator (FLFO) x 2: The pair of FLFOs utilize four controls (phase, shape, skew, and warp) to access a virtually limitless palette of waveforms, and feature host tempo sync and retrigger.
- Sample And Hold: The S&H mod source can sample noise (random) or any of the other mod sources, at either a user-defined rate or a musical division.
- Modulation Matrix: Every mod and MIDI source can be easily and simply assigned to any destination using the quick-access bi-polar modulation matrix. Touch a destination on the UI and the matrix automatically scrolls to the correct row.
- Tuning Tables And Global Tuning Offset: Re-tune Quanta to new intonations and temperaments using the open-source and easy-to-use TUN file format. A global tuning offset (default to A=440) allows you to easily retune the entire synth to match a different A frequency without using a tuning table.
- MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression): Quanta understands both “legacy” MIDI and MPE. Use your Linnstrument, Roli controller, Haken Continuum, or Madrona Labs Soundplane (among others) to directly access per-note pressure, pitch bend, and modulation.
- Per-Instance Settings: Quanta utilizes a per-instance customization method: set MPE mode, aftertouch smoothing, pitch bend range override, tuning table, and global tuning offset for each instance in your AUv3 host.
- Factory Presets: Quanta comes with a substantial collection of factory content, including Designer Presets from Marcus Fisher, Joseph Fraioli, Chris Carter, and Richard Devine.
- Cross-Platform Preset Format: Quanta utilizes an XML-based preset manager, and stores the sample within the preset for easy asset management. Work between multiple systems without troubles, make a preset on your desktop machine and paste it to the iOS version with Handoff or vice-versa, easily share your creations with your friends, or make a preset bundle to sell, no asset management required.
- Fully Resizable Retina GUI: Quanta’s vector-based GUI is resolution-agnostic, and displays the same on every system and resolution. Easily resize the UI (per instance) to match your visual needs, from postage stamp to poster-sized.
First Look Quanta (VST/AU/AAX)
Here is a first look of Quanta. The main features are the same only how to import samples or how to use the AUv3 version is different than in the desktop version.
First Look Quanta For iOS By The Sound Test Room
Support The Sound Test Room over Patreon!
Audio Damage Quanta is now available in a early-bird special for $7.99 USD until September 1st, 2018.
Available here: Audio Damage Quanta