Analog Synthesizers are still dominating the current market but some developers try to jump again on the digital train. Beside the expensive Peak Synthesizer by Novation, it exist also some very cool digital synths for a lower price. The new MMO-3 from Nozoid is a great example that shows that little digital machine can be also very cool. It’s a digital, semi-modular, monophonic instrument with various types of modulation synthesis possibilities (AM, FM, PM, WS). What we can hear from the developer, it can create fat drones, glitchy electronic patterns or percussive noise. In my eyes, an interesting instrument with a lot of possibilities to creating different sound timbres.
MMO-3 is a digital, semi-modular, monophonic but stereo synthesizer. Built around various types of modulation synthesis (AM, FM, PM, WS), this synthesizer is mostly dedicated to atonal sound generation. From fat drones, glitchy electronic patterns or percussive noise, the MMO-3 offers rich and complex timbre control.
Unlike most FM synthesizers, the MMO-3 is not limited to a specific modulation routing. All 3 oscillators can be modulated by all other oscillators or LFOs. Modulation parameters are accessible thanks to 9 knobs for an accurate and continuous adjustment of the timbre.
Moreover, it’s not only a FM synth : it also offers Phase Modulation, Amplitude Modulation and a custom Wave Shaper modulation technique where an oscillator amplitude can be amplified prior to a wave-shaper in order to add harmonics without frequency variation. Also, a joystick allows for easy manipulation of modulations, for a fast and expressive control of the sound.
What is inside?
- 30 control knobs
- A joystick to control modulation parameters
- 3 oscillators
- FM, AM, PM and Wave Shaping modulation
- 3 LFOs with complex waveform
- 1 ADSR
- 1 MIX (3 channels, stereo)
- 1 dual VCA
- 1 dual distortion
- A very powerful digital connection matrix to control oscillator modulations
- 2 octaves keyboard with portamento
- 1 Stereo audio line IN
- 1 Stereo audio line OUT
- 1 MIDI input (note / velocity / pitch wheel / control change)
- 1 analog CV IN and 1 GATE IN
- 30 faders, 12 bits input
- 44.1KHz audio synthesis
- about 10KHz for CV computation (modulations are at audio rate)
- 24 bits audio ADC and DAC
- 32 bits audio synthesis
- 12 bits ADC for the faders and CV in
- about 80 dB S/N for the audio line-out
- 0.5 ms IN/OUT audio latency
- cortex M3 32 bits micro-controller (from an arduino due)
- 9 to 12V power supply (1 standard 2.1mm power plug or 1 standard eurorack plug)
- low power consumption (300mA @ 12V)
- eurorack compatible (3U, 10 inches : 50HP)
- 280 x 150 x 60mm wood (oak) box
- about 620g
MMO-3 Synthesizer is now available for 499€ from their official Nozoid web store
Available here: Nozoid MMO-3